Blanco Monk Found Dead Before Indecency Hearing

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Sep 17, 2007 04:20 PM

The body of a Blanco County monk and convicted child molester was found in a trailer Sunday night on the grounds of the Christ of the Hills Monastery.

Sam Greene, 63, was also known as Father Benedict and lived on the monastery grounds. Authorities said Greene spent his final days on the property, where he died among trailers. Much of the ground is overgrown, with abandoned cars scattered about.

The reason for his death is unclear, but he faced a probation hearing Friday for a 1997 child indecency conviction. He was on probation for nine counts of child indecency connected to accusations by a 9-year-old boy at the monastery.

Prosecutors said this week they were going to ask a judge to send Greene to prison. He allegedly violated his terms by going to places without permission and contacting people he was not supposed to.

"We sent the investigators down there. They believed it to be an apparent suicide. But, we don't presuppose anything. We handled those as an unintended death and see what the facts are and go from there," said Sheriff Bill Elsbury of Blanco County.

Greene faced up to 20 years on each of the nine counts of child molestation. The assistant district attorney said she was going to ask the judge to stack the sentences.

The entryway off County Road 103 of the Russian Orthodox Church in southern Blanco County is closed, since fraud and more molestation charges were leveled last year.

Brother Moses, the Blanco County monk who reported Greene's death, declined to comment.

Evfimy

Post by Evfimy »

I am sad to hear this. I thought I would comment since no one else seems to care. I visited Blanco in 1993. I venerated the weeping icon. I was very upset to find out recently, after all these years, that the weeping icon was fake. I think God brought their monastery down because they manipulated people and faked the icon for the sole purpose of financial gain.

popwolf

Post by popwolf »

I am also sad to hear about the things that have gone on in Blanco.I had gotten some tears from the fake icon a number of years ago and I feel sad I was one of thoes taken in by the fake..I know there was a Nun who was very sick and she ran the gift shop there.Anyony know what happened to her?

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

I am very sad to hear of Fr. Benedict's death. I met him at Jordanville in 1992. I will pray for his soul.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

GOCTheophan

Post by GOCTheophan »

Sean wrote:

I am very sad to hear of Fr. Benedict's death. I met him at Jordanville in 1992. I will pray for his soul.

Dear Sean,

Do you believe that he and the Icon were "fake"?

There are people who dont.

Theophan.