HELP NEEDED

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

ANGELA

HELP NEEDED

Post by ANGELA »

I would like to ask whether anyone knows how I can get a ring of St Katherine, the one that the monks give at Mt Sanai.

Maybe an address or email of Mt Sanai were I can post them a letter to send it to me.

Does anyone know?

Many thanks
Angela+++

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

Dear in Christ Angela,

Although I do not read Greek I did find the website (I think) for the monastery of Saint Katherine in Sinai.

Monastery of Saint Katherine

I know that there are many on this site who can read Greek, maybe it is possible that someone can direct us on how to view this site.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

I thought jewely was non-Orthodox -- something reseved for worldly protestants.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Incognito1583 wrote:

I thought jewely was non-Orthodox -- something reseved for worldly protestants.

You are new here Incognito1583, you don't know Angela, so why do you want to make such a comment on a post that is more than a year old?

Please think before you post.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

jacqueline
Faith: RussianOrthodox

Post by jacqueline »

Hello Angela,

Did you ever find the ring? I tried searching on google but I still don't really understand the significance of the ring. Can someone explain the story or post a link where I might find out more information?

Thank you
/jacqueline

"Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and for ever." ( Heb.13:8 )

ANGELA

Post by ANGELA »

Jacqueline,

Yes I did. Someone from the Orthodox website "Monachos" sent it to me. It's meaning is when St Katherine woke up from the vision she had, she had a ring on her finger meaning she was betrothed to Christ.

At the Mount Sanai Monastery they give the pilgrims a ring.

In Christ
Angela

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Angela,

Let's not confuse some people who come here with different versions of Christianity. It might be scandalis(spelling wrong?). To you and me and others, in this Forum, we understand the wording, but to those who are still uneducated in the faith, they may get scandalized(correct spelling).

To those who are not Orthodox and may be confused: No woman can "marry" Jesus Christ. The term is alagorical, referring to the union of the heart, in faith to Christ, our Saviour, The Messiah. Christ performed many miracles during His stay here and after His Resurrection. He performed miracles in different ways. He didn't always heal with the same method. With that in mind, He also worked through His servants in different ways. With St. Catherine, He gave her a ring, that was only visible to her. It signified her devotion to Him and His acceptance of her will.

In the Orthodox faith, the ring became a statement of faith. The Cross is always the first and most important statement to wear. The ring is a symbol of devotion, but certainly not above the Cross.

Perhaps, the significance of the ring became distorted by the Western influence, but it is not considered a magical union in the East. It is considered as sacred as an icon, so someone who would wear this ring, is wearing the icon of the faith in Christ and accepting a big spiritual responsibility.

It is not worn as jewelery, although some may do so, but for those who are conscience of the faith, they wear it with reverence and humility, because wearing this ring, through Christ, will certainly bring a person down the path of humility.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)