Is a bishop required to be a monk?

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Olympiada
Jr Member

Is a bishop required to be a monk?

Post by Olympiada »

Greetings All,
Is it required by canon rubrics that a man being tonsured a stavrophore monk before he becomes a bishop?
Olympiada

spiridon

Post by spiridon »

YES
YES
YESYESYES
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES

First, and Last, and Always
in CHRIST

Olympiada
Jr Member

Where are the canons that indicate a bishop must be a monk?

Post by Olympiada »

Ok, then show me those canons, please.

spiridon

Post by spiridon »

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world, rather than on Christ" (Colossians 2:8).

would it matter, your mind is made up already. By the way i have seen all your posts on atleast 5 of the major Orthodox Lists online and they have all been somewhat innocent questions , followed by an almost harsh attack to the people answering your questions, WHY ????
a Catachumen, as you said you have recently been made, should not be quick to judge and instead follow your spiritual Father and learn not canons, But Scripture and how not to be of this Sinful world, as I have been for many years...
In Christ, Forgive me if i have offended you

in CHRIST

Olympiada
Jr Member

I was baptized on Zacchues Sunday 1999

Post by Olympiada »

This should indicate to you have misunderstood me completely. Why would a fisherwoman attack. Or are you a big fish that needs to get clubbed? You have offended me because you have judged me. How is my mind made up? That a bishop should not be required to be a monk in order to take the office? Yes, you are right, my mind is made up. I disagree with this canon. And if you will not tell me who wrote I will ask someone who will. And 5 lists have you seen me on by chance? Is this another case of mistaken identity?

spiridon

Post by spiridon »

this is something I found on the Basilian-Father, order of St.Basil...

Because the Antiochian Church in North America had no provisions for married Bishops, and Archbishop Alexander was married, he was not allowed to function as a Bishop within he Antiochian Orthodox Church, but as a Mitered Archpriest, the Right Reverend Alexander Turner, S.S.B., superior general of the Orthodox Society of Clerks Secular of Saint Basil, and head of the Western Rite Vicarite of the Syrian Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of all North America (and New York). This was a unique position which ended with his death.

in CHRIST

Climacus

Post by Climacus »

I think that particular teaching has changed over the centuries, it being a matter of organization, and not of doctrine.

The first bishops did not have to be monks, as we see from the fact that most of the apostles were married. See, for instance, 1 Corinthians 9:5 where Paul says: "Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?"

Nor did bishops after the apostolic age have to be monks. For instance, the father of St Gregory of Nazianzus was a bishop.

The move to enforce episcopal celibacy was more of a prudential decision made centuries after the apostles, rather than a matter of apostolic tradition.