How to Greet a Monk or Nun

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Miriam

Post by Miriam »

Methodius:

Since I am confused between the difference of a woman in a hat, a woman in a scarf and a woman in a sheer scarf........kindly define what you mean. And for that matter where you get your definition. I always was taught that a head covered was all that mattered...... :?

Miriam

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

miriam wrote:

Methodius:

Since I am confused between the difference of a woman in a hat, a woman in a scarf and a woman in a sheer scarf........kindly define what you mean. And for that matter where you get your definition. I always was taught that a head covered was all that mattered...... :?

Miriam

Miriam I think this is because a hat attracts attention to you while getting in the way of prostrations and that a sheer scarf does not truly cover your head, just as a sheer short does not cover the body, as you can see what is covered.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Methodius wrote:
I think this is because a hat attracts attention to you while getting in the way of prostrations and that a sheer scarf does not truly cover your head, just as a sheer short does not cover the body, as you can see what is covered.

Methodius:

I think you are splitting hairs here. While I acknowledge that there is a certain responsibility taken on by a woman when she visits a men’s monastery, I also feel that frequently the problem is not in the woman but in the person looking at her. It has been proven that even if a woman covers herself in the all-encompassing burka, man will still manage to find something seductive in that apparel.

Hats do not get in the way of prostrations, I know because I wear hats, and I know of many matushkas and deaconesses who also wear them –without a problem I might add. What this does mean to me is that the men aren’t concentrating sufficiently on their prayers but only judging what is around them. A sheer scarf is a petty issue, while sheer dresses are another matter entirely and I happen to agree with you on that point.

Consider this point…I am unable to wear scarves – they just don’t stay on my head... pins don’t help. And I spend more time fixing the stupid thing and not concentrating on my own prayers. For me hats stay put and I don’t have to futz around with it. So do I wear a hat and not distract everyone around me fixing my errant scarf or do I wear the scarf …make men “feel” better and lose my concentration on prayer? Sounds like a Catch 22.

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

I did not write the rules, the monks did. I am guessing as to why.

Soon2BeOrthodox

Post by Soon2BeOrthodox »

I think I missed it. How do you tell if a monastic is tonsured?

icxn

Post by icxn »

How about:

Hey you stupid monk or nun, why don't you get me a glass of water...

Sorry, couldn't resist... :wink: I was just reading the following:

When anyone came respectfully to Abba Macarius, desiring to hear some exhortation from him, he received no answer at all. But if anyone came despising Macarius and did violence to him in such words as these, "Lo you there, father Macarius! You used to be a camel-driver, and steal the salt. How your master used to beat you when he caught you robbing him!" willingly, even joyfully, Macarius used to speak to such a man of whatever he wished to hear. (Source: http://www.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/etext/wd.htm)

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

When anyone came respectfully to Abba Macarius, desiring to hear some exhortation from him, he received no answer at all. But if anyone came despising Macarius and did violence to him in such words as these, "Lo you there, father Macarius! You used to be a camel-driver, and steal the salt. How your master used to beat you when he caught you robbing him!" willingly, even joyfully, Macarius used to speak to such a man of whatever he wished to hear.

Why is that? Sorry, my computer is tempermental and I couldn't make the link.