Number of True Orthodox Monasteries on Mt Athos?

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Number of True Orthodox Monasteries on Mt Athos?

Post by Justice »

How many Old Calendarist monasteries are on Mt. Athos? Are they facing persecution by the New Calendarists?

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Number of True Orthodox Monasteries on Mt Athos?

Post by Barbara »

There is mainly the famous Esphigmenou, which has taken a terrible beating from the Greek govt. Yes, THEM, again, the ones who changed the name of the St Andrew Hospital in Patras. This port city receives many international visitors every year, particularly by ferry from Italy. So perhaps the Greek state was embarrassed at "what other Europeans might think !" seeing a hospital named after a Saint, even one common to both Orthodoxy and Catholicism.

You can follow developments up through Feb 4, 2017 at the monastery's website, www.esphigmenou.com.
I am not sure why no updates have been provided since then. I wanted to check whether Abbot Methodios is going to be let off.
This resister against the EP Bartholomew was given a cruel 20 years in prison on an apparently trumped up charge. 2 other monks were given lesser terms. This was all just a charade in order to suppress the feisty Old Calendar monastery.

Before that, there was St Elias Skete, which housed monks from the Russian Church Abroad. But the monks were forced to leave for vague reasons. Likely : persecution for following the Julian Calendar.

Other than these, some people assume that "all monks on Mt Athos are Old Calendarists". But the facts do not seem to bear that out. A Romanian skete came under heat when it was believed that they had ceased commemorating the EP-Bartholomew.
The skete was compelled to issue a statement strongly denying that they were non-commemorators. Most of this skete of St John the Forerunner seems to have no problem in the use of the New Calendar. 5 monks were supposedly rebelling and being punished. The matter is not clear, however.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Thank you Barbara for your detailed response.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

From what I have heard, there are many True Orthodox monks living on Mount Athos in tiny individual sketes hidden in the rocks, forests, and caves. Few know where they live, and if a few monks do, they will not divulge those hiding places.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by jdigrande »

Yes- that is true. I know of one monk who lives like this.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Have you by chance gone over there to pay a visit to him and seen for yourself his little skete ?