hesychasterion

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

hesychasterion

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

a certian non orthodox relative of mine has lately been pestering me about the idea of hesychasterion. if you are not familiar with it it is where one retreats from the world into total solitude such as some athonite monks do on the clifs at karoulia and other places. this relative says that there is no biblical basis for this, or in her mind any form of monasticism. :ohvey: now I know that this is just not true but I need help finding specific examples and how to convince a protestant that monasticism is a respectable way of life. if you have any suggestins please help. :wink:

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Christ secluded Himself on the mountain to pray and fast for 40 days.

But of course we are not interested in "scriptural", we are undoubtedly dealing with a Protestant, who also must interpret it the same way.

The only discussion I will ever have with a Protestant is one about Sola Scriptura, because any other conversation with them is like a Nine headed Hydra, slice off one head and three more grow. :)

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

My thoughts exactly. Sacred Scripture is the only part of Sacred Tradition (of which Scripture is only a part of) that protestants will pay attention to. (And only when it fits their world view at that!)

away
Jr Member

Post by away »

Perhaps you could be silent on the topic.

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I am sure that is what I will end up doing, as the desert fathers say if someone dissagrees with you simply say you know what you are talking about and that way your mind will be at peace. perhaps it is best for me to be silent and not intwine myself in this hydra headed evil

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Saint Elijah the prophet would be a good example. Also consider that the Apostle Paul did tell us to pray without ceasing...

Steve
Jr Member

From Father George Florovsky

Post by Steve »

demetrios karaolanis wrote:

I am sure that is what I will end up doing, as the desert fathers say if someone dissagrees with you simply say you know what you are talking about and that way your mind will be at peace. perhaps it is best for me to be silent and not intwine myself in this hydra headed evil

This: http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/florov_nt.htm is a good article whether you choose silence or not. It helped me. /\