BBC2 videos on Greece and Monastery of Esfigmenou

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

BBC2 videos on Greece and Monastery of Esfigmenou

Post by Maria »

​BBC2 & Simon Reeve did a story on Greece.

The 2nd episode included a part on Esfigmenou.

Many of the monks of Esfigmenou are shown in this video:
Abt Methodios, Fr Ilias, Fr Lisimahos, and Fr Gaios who can
be seen at 10:43 of the video.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: BBC2 videos on Greece and Monastery of Esfigmenou

Post by Barbara »

Good find, and a prompt one as I see the video was posted only today : fresh news !

My flash player gave out at the 10 minute mark, but at least I got most of it viewed.

I thought Simon Reeve's commentary was irritating. [" No meat ? No women ? Let's turn around, " he exclaims. You mean he never was briefed on what a monastery is ?! Too corny.
However, at least he went and covered this story which has not received the international attention it deserves.

I'll have to finish the last 2 minutes, but I hope it presents a favorable image to the world of Esfighmenou's struggle.

The part where the BBC reporter and local guide ride on the tractor bucket is cute. I had never seen that done !

I am glad the monastery either recovered its tractor or found another one. That was SO unfair that the Greek Gov.
confiscated the Brotherhood's. I couldn't recognize the brand name. Even a cheaper model costs a lot. And if it needs repairs ? Well I guess the usual astronomically priced trip to CAT is not necessary in establishments where monk-mechanics have their shop ready and waiting for work !

Archimandrit Nilos

Re: BBC2 videos on Greece and Monastery of Esfigmenou

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

The Monastery of Esphigmenou is with the Akakian-Florinite parasynagoguers. His Abbot Methodios was ordained by the Florinite Akakain-Florinite and formerly Matthewite Auxentios Pastras (born 1912). Also the leader Chrysostom Kioussi was in strong relation with this Monastery.