Appeal from Met. Moses Re: Monastery of St. Gregory of Sinai

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Appeal from Met. Moses Re: Monastery of St. Gregory of Sinai

Post by Maria »

NOTE: The appeal letter below has been pre-approved by the Administration of E Cafe.

This appeal letter has been sent via email to all who have joined Father Panagiotes Carras' yahoo group:

• AN APPEAL FROM METROPOLITAN MOSES RE: THE MONASTERY OF ST. GREGORY OF SINAI

His Eminence, Metropolitan Moses has asked that an appeal be made to assist the Monastery of St. Gregory of Sinai. Life at this remote monastery has been made more difficult because of the major drought that California has been going through the last few years. This year the drought intensified and in early December of last year the Monastery's well finally went dry. Water is now being brought to the Monastery by truck. The old well was 500 feet deep. A new well is needed and it is expected to be between 600-800 feet deep. In addition to the drilling of the well, the monastery water system infrastructure needs a major overhaul.

If we all help, life at the Monastery will become less arduous. There are two ways we can help contribute to this project at the Monastery. First, and foremost, is prayer. The Monastery is located high in the mountains of Northern California. Drilling in this area is a challenging endeavour – the finding of water, it's quality and quantity is not guaranteed. The water system project also has some unique challenges. Please pray that His Grace, Bishop Sergius, the fathers and the contractors will have wisdom in decisions that need to be made and that God would provide good abundant water for the long-term needs of the Monastery.

Secondly, if you are in a position to make a financial donation to the project please consider doing so. The project as a whole (the drilling of the well and the water system work) is expected to cost about $170,000. Any donation amount would be appreciated. All donations are tax-deductible.

To make a donation please send a check made out to "St. Gregory of Sinai Monastery" marked "Water Project".
    The Monastery mailing address is:
    Saint Gregory of Sinai Monastery
    8252 Harrington Flat Road
    Kelseyville, CA 95451

If you prefer to make a donation with a credit card you may do so on the monastery website at Donate. Questions may be directed to Fr. Moses at frmoses@gsinai.com.

Your prayers for the success of this important project are essential.

In Christ,
    +Fr. Panagiotes

Go to Orthodoxyinfo.org for a wide variety of articles on the Faith

Last edited by Maria on Thu 8 May 2014 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Revised to change the title as Fr. Panagiotes sent a new email correcting an error

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Re: Met. Demetrios & Bishop Sergios bless site of new well

Post by Maria »

Would building a water tower be less costly?

Northern California did receive a lot of rain this year, but unfortunately, it quickly ran off the ground and ended up flowing into creeks, rivers, lakes, and the Pacific Ocean. On the big island of Hawaii, people must build water towers, or collect water from their roofs. This water in turn is to be used for watering their vegetation or crops. However, from what I have been told, some municipalities in California now outlaw the use of water towers or rain collection systems.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Met. Demetrios & Bishop Sergios bless site of new well

Post by Barbara »

I didn't know that about the Big Island's shortage of water and method of collecting it when rain does fall.
Has snow ever been experienced there, I wonder ?

I hadn't heard about this problem with monastery's well.
Let's pray for the best method successfully achieved for them to solve this need in a permanent way so they don't have to face this peril ever again.

Maria
Archon

Re: Appeal from Met. Moses Re: Monastery of St. Gregory of S

Post by Maria »

I have edited the OP as Fr. Panagiotes has sent me a new email with corrections in the title and in the body of the Appeal.