Solovki [ I know it's MP but fun to see ]

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Solovki [ I know it's MP but fun to see ]

Post by Maria »

Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures, Barbara.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

You're welcome ! Aren't they lovely ?

Here, for the Orthodox New Year tomorrow are a few more :

Notice how the shadowed part of the Moon is visible so clearly this far north, and without cities nearby

Although many of the photos convey an image of Solovki in the winter as cosy and warm indoors...

and festive...

...there is always the chilly reality of life in the northern latitudes, depicted vividly in this photo of a little snow-bound skete

I just fed a marmalade cat I always see in my neighborhood on the way to library to use the computer, and now notice this lookalike tucked in the snow [ BRR ! ] next to a brick chimney of nearly the same color. I had missed it the 1st day I saw this collection, so one can assume the feline's camouflage attempt is quite successful !

The orange-furred resident of Solovki is greeting readers of the Euphrosynos Cafe Forum :

"Happy New Year to All Good Souls ! Wishing You Safety, Excellent Health and Many Victories in 2019 [ -- and beyond ] ! "

[/color]

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Inspiring pic of Solovki :

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

August being the month of the Monastery's Feast of the Transfiguration and various Feast Days of Solovki Saints, a photo report "Mystical Solovki" was published by orthochristian.com.
These lovely images take one on pilgrimage right to the remote monastery:

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

i was waiting all this time to see that video in the 1st post on this thread. But, it's gone ! Too old. Sorry about that.

But meanwhile, everyone who would like, please look through the pictures above from this approximate time of year.