The Passion (again)

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
sue57

The Passion (again)

Post by sue57 »

Although this does not pertain in a direct way to Orthodoxy, I just finished reading an article about Mel Gibson's film in the September 15 issue of The New Yorker. It is an interesting article, and less critical than I would have expected. (During the height of the abuse scandal last year, Hendrick Hertzberg said in The NYer that the RC church's refusal to ordain women or have a married priesthood was akin to Stalinist Russia or S. Africa under aparthaid. For the record, I think that issue of a married priesthood in the Catholic church had NOTHING to do with married Orthodox clergy.)
Anyway, the article raises many issues about Catholic traditionalism, and by extension, the whole nature of Christianity, ecumenicism, modernism, etc. I thought that the article was definately worth reading, and I reccomend it to anyone who might be wondering if it's worth the $3.95 for the magazine!

(I am so sorry I cannot spell to save my life! One of the casualties of spellcheck!!)