Pre-Lenten and Great Lenten Homilies of St. Gregory Palamas

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Pre-Lenten and Great Lenten Homilies of St. Gregory Pala

Post by Matthew »

That was a very edifying and instructive post. Thank you very much, Maria.

God bless,
Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

A modern day Publican and Pharisee:

This true story happened in the 1970's:

There was a monastery in which two priests lived. One hieromonk was known for his sanctity, while the other was known as a drunkard. They both developed terminal cancer at the same time and were sent to the monastery infirmary.

The pious hieromonk complained bitterly to the Lord: "Lord I have prayed and fasted, have never missed any Holy Services, and have prepared my sermons to help the faithful attain salvation. Yet, I am afflicted with terminal cancer as is that drunkard over there. Is this the way to treat a faithful servant?" So, he cursed God and died alone.

The other hieromonk was in tears. He called the abbot and all the brethren. He humbly apologized saying, "I have offended Our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, my guardian angel, and you my brethren by wasting time and money, spending my time foolishly drinking alcohol. Please forgive me for being a drunkard, for being late or missing Holy Services, and for scandalizing my brethren." He died with a sweet smile on his face surrounded by his monastic brethren after having receiving the forgiveness of his brethren and the Holy Eucharist.

p.s. This above true story was told to our parish as part of a homily for the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Wow! a true story too! Lord have mercy upon us and help us to be at all times, at every hour of every day, ready!

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Homily Three: On the Parable of the Prodigal

Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies, Trans. and Ed. by Christopher Veniamin, Mount Tabor Publishing: 2009, p. 23.

Paragraphs 25-26 (excerpts)

• Only when he (the Prodigal) left all his sinful deeds and ran to his father did he attain what was beyond hope. From then on he stayed near him in humility, living chastely and honestly and preserving unharmed the grace renewed in him by God.

May all of us attain this grace and keep it undiminished, that in the age to come we may rejoice with the prodigal son who was saved, in the heavenly Jerusalem, the mother of the living, the Church of the firstborn, in Christ Himself our Lord, to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

Amen.

Metropolitan Moses in his homily which was posted in this forum, said that the robe put around the shoulders of the Prodigal represents the Sacrament of Baptism, the ring on his finger represents the seal of Chrismation, the fatted calf represents the Holy Eucharist, and the sandals represent strength to trample on temptations.

May we continue in the struggle, aided by the Holy Mysteries, so that we may rejoice with all the angels and saints.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

That is a wonderful revelation of the inner meaning of the parable. I had not heard all those details before. May God indeed help us all to be stronger and healthier to more truly fulfil the gospel commandments to love God and our neighbour more perfectly.