Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, Elder Thaddeus

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, Elder Thaddeus

Post by Maria »

Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica

Was Elder Thaddeus a True Orthodox Christian? It appears that he opposed the institution of the New Calendar at the Finnish monastery.

I found this information on another webforum but there was no link given.
As soon as a link is posted, I will add that link here in this thread:

Fr Thaddeus was born in Serbia in 1914. Aged 15, he was told by doctors that he had only five
years to live. The young man entered the monastery of Milkovo, where he became a monk, the
disciple of Russian monks who had taken refuge there. They had come to Serbia as a result of the
Bolshevik coup d’etat in Russia and the neo-calendarist persecution of Orthodoxy at Valaam
Monastery, then in Finland. Among the Russian monks at Milkovo was the well-known Fr
Ambrose, a disciple of St Ambrose of Optina. It was from him that Fr Thaddeus soon learned the
Jesus Prayer.

Has anyone read this book? Would you recommend it?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Revnitel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, Elder Thaddeus

Post by Revnitel »

Marvelous book, well worth the time and read.

"The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous, she is uncorrupted and pure, She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the Kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ."

--St. Cyprian of Carthage, On The Unity of the Church (Chapter 6, ANF,V:423),

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives, Elder Thaddeus

Post by Matthew »

Maria wrote:

Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica

Was Elder Thaddeus a True Orthodox Christian? It appears that he opposed the institution of the New Calendar at the Finnish monastery.

Has anyone read this book? Would you recommend it?

I haven't read this life before, so I have no idea if he was TOC or not, nor can I say if it is worth reading, but Rev says it is a good read, so if can maybe you should get it.