What Books Are You Reading?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Serge

'Russian Piety' by Nicholas Arseniev

Post by Serge »

Russian Piety by Nicholas Arseniev is a well-written, balanced, short book about Russian Orthodox thought and culture, from a representative of the

Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi Friends,

I'm reading at the moment "Note From The Underground" by Dostoievky (pardon the spelling). Great book! I'll follow with the "Brothers Karamazov". I plan to get today a very new book by Martin Amis titled "Koba The Dread". This is according to critics an excellent and recent analysis (very scathing) of the stalinist/leninist regime.

Steve
Jr Member

denis ...

Post by Steve »

does your copy of "Notes" have the story of the crocidile in it? What a funny story! Just goes to show old Dostoevsky had a good sense of humor. :lol: :o :D :wink:

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

A few days ago I bought a book on the development of the papacy that I foolishly thought (because of the sales pitch) was going to be an even-handed look "from the inside" (the author is Catholic). Seems I wasted my money; I started the book yesterday, and by the 25th page I had to stop reading it (lol, I must be losing my patience, I got through 300 pages of Hans Kung before I had to stop reading). The problem is that the guy is a typical modern (non-Orthodox) liberal scholar, and he goes on like they typically do page after page. If you see the book "The Chair of Saint Peter: A History of the Papacy" by William J La Due, don't buy it! ;)

I've unfortunately fallen back into the habit of reading way too many books at one time again, sigh. Anyway, here's what's on the agenda for at least the next week or so:

"Not of This World: The Life and Teachings of Father Seraphim Rose" - Damascene Christensen
"The Soul After Death" - Seraphim Rose
"Constantinople In the Age of Justinian" - Glanville Downey
"Historical Road To Eastern Orthodoxy" - Alexander Schmemann
Books and Scriptures with the Wife :)

(I don't have the books here, so if I mispelled something I'm sorry :) )

Btw, if anyone would be interested in discussing Justinian, I'd love to hear some thoughts on him. I've been quite honestly baffled at the varied views of him. Both secular books I've read on him seem to paint him in a nicer light than Fr. Schmemann did. Truth be told, I was offended by Fr. Schmemann's treatment of the Saint. Perhaps I'm just touchy though. :oops:

Denis

Re: denis ...

Post by Denis »

Ole Rocker wrote:

does your copy of "Notes" have the story of the crocidile in it? What a funny story! Just goes to show old Dostoevsky had a good sense of humor. :lol: :o :D :wink:

I must not be there yet for I haven't read about the crocodile. I must say it's a very good book but quite unusual: like a long monologue. I'd also love to read some of Tolstoy's writing on the subject of faith.

Serge

Poustinia

Post by Serge »

Poustinia by Catherine de Hueck Doherty.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Best book on the Pope I have read...

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The Best book I have read on Roman Catholicism by a Roman Catholic is Iota Unum: A Study of Changes in the Catholic Church in the XXth Century by Romano Amerio and Father John P. Parsons. While it only deals with the changes in the Roman Catholic Church in the last 100 years, it shows how teachings have actually made 180 degree turns in some cases! Its conclusion is to remain Roman Catholic and pray for the Church as all one can do, which I feel is flawed, but the information is presented in such a way that everything is corraborated with RCC documents showing the changes. It is extensive and intensive and thus a slow read, but I found it well worth my time.