Elder Isidore - Salt of the Earth

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Elder Isidore - Salt of the Earth

Post by Cyprian »

Christ is born! Merry Christmas!

I am sorry, I meant elder Cleopa of Romania, who was mentioned. Wasn't he a new-calendarist?

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, Elder isidore would be on the Old Calendar as Revnitel says. So on that point, no problem with the fasts.

Also, I am not saying people should not read Elder Cleopa. I would not read his stuff, but that is just me. He did write many good things on various questions of the spiritual life or about texts. We can all learn something from every person. However, sometimes as in my case, we can be grieved or wounded, or in some way a false idea can make sport of us by being presented to our minds if the author is not fully Orthodox. I prefer to rule out any such possibility as much as possible by reading from the huge number of books of the tried and true teachers and fathers out there that I have yet to read. I have barely scratched the surface just on St John Chrysostom's works for example. Why neglect his writings to spend time on Cleopa? But like I said, that is just my way of looking at it.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

Yes, Elder isidore would be on the Old Calendar as Revnitel says. So on that point, no problem with the fasts.

Also, I am not saying people should not read Elder Cleopa. I would not read his stuff, but that is just me. He did write many good things on various questions of the spiritual life or about texts. We can all learn something from every person. However, sometimes as in my case, we can be grieved or wounded, or in some way a false idea can make sport of us by being presented to our minds if the author is not fully Orthodox. I prefer to rule out any such possibility as much as possible by reading from the huge number of books of the tried and true teachers and fathers out there that I have yet to read. I have barely scratched the surface just on St John Chrysostom's works for example. Why neglect his writings to spend time on Cleopa? But like I said, that is just my way of looking at it.

I agree.

I was given permission to read the book written about Father Paisios and his sayings. As that book greatly disturbed me, I put it down. Then I found out that this very book had some serious translational errors bordering on heresy especially that of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Oh dear! That Peale guy gets around doesn't he! And that Orthodox people should be reading his evil corruption and injecting it into spiritual literature meant for Orthodox believers, too.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Cyprian, that's very very amazing to have 11-day Apostles Fast this year.
I saw that Pascha is May 5 again - I remember it was also that date back in 200 _ ? Early 2000's.

I was checking for the start of Great Lent, seems to be March 18 this year ?

As for that Peale character, where did I read he is some kind of either Mason or some objectionable
philosophy. I never read his book, no remote interest in any of those American "popular" self-helper authors !
They are all useless, except possibly for totally inept people who need to be directed in how to handle normal life
situations.

Seriously, though, I think many of the popular authorities on almost any given subject
are specifically promoted by whatever equivalent of NWO types are active in that particular era.
Their writings fit the Mason/Council on Foreign Relations/power elite/bankers big agenda to aggressively mold
the American people into automatons, thus malleable to the dark influence of these institutions.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Yes, indeed, "Elder" Cleopa of Romania was a New-Calendarist. You can forget him.
http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/ec_prologue.aspx

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thank you, Archimandrite !

The interesting part of the writeup for me was this :

"....homily in which he said, May God grant that our own rulers might become as the Holy King and Queen were, that the Church might be able to also commemorate them unto the ages. The next day the state police took him to prison, leaving him in a bedless cell without bread or water for five days"