Elder Isidore - Salt of the Earth

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Elder Isidore - Salt of the Earth

Post by Matthew »

Yes, I think one of the most beneficial kinds of reading are spiritual biographies.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

For me, definitely very effective.

I just wish there were MORE high caliber ones written ! It seems the selection is limited to those
elders and Saints about whom enough material was collected.

I saw last night a mention of a nun who gave evidence about the sanctity of a Saint.
The text said "Regrettably, nothing more is known about her life".

So - this is the problem in so many cases. Many fascinating lives were not recorded
or scantily so.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Yes, I have read many such things in the lives of the saints who get very little written about them, and I often thought, I wonder what diamonds and spiritual gold is hidden in that phrase, "nothing more is known about them."

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

Yes, I have read many such things in the lives of the saints who get very little written about them, and I often thought, I wonder what diamonds and spiritual gold is hidden in that phrase, "nothing more is known about them."

Yet, most of the holy ones of God live hidden lives. They are truly humble, prayerful, sober, and silent, so they do not boast. We may hear of a few miraculous events, but those accounts are written by others. Ultimately, we will not even know that they are great saints until the Final Judgment when the Great Judge, Christ our God, will reveal the deeds of all.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Indeed, on the day when the books shall be opened and all that is hidden and secret shall be revealed.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Wonderful comments, both Maria and Icxpion !
Truly edifying !

Still I think there would not be a problem to pray for previously hidden lives of holy Elders and Eldresses
and anyone else like that to be REDISCOVERED in some distant library !

What do you think, is this a worthy project for prayer ?

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

If one feels strongly enough about it, yes, one could pray for something to be revealed. However, there are so many lives I have not read yet that I will focus on knowing those first.