Reflections of a Russian Statesman

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Reflections of a Russian Statesman

Post by Barbara »

Good ! You both understand well !

I really think that it's bad to be chained to reading books online.
I can understand only if one is a foreign student and desperately struggling economically.

Otherwise, holding a REAL BOOK - even a paperback - is so much more easy on the soul AND eyes,
as Icxypion and Maria have both said.

I think this computerized reading is somehow designed to twist our brains into easily moldable entities.

I can justify reading ARTICLES online, or comments such as here. Why - becaause they can't be found anywhere.

But for books, it is obvious that one should get them from a library if one cannot manage to purchase it.

One has to wait, maybe a month for InterLIbrary Loans to arrive. But it is WORTH it !

The problem is too that many libraries deliberately threw away [gave to Library Book Sales] all the most interesting
history books and conserative type ones, I'm sure, in favor of feminist trash, garbage novels, leftist agenda "books",
prohomosexual authors, etc.

That's why one has to have really nice older books sent from another library, most always.

I remember ordering a copy of William Palmer's "A Visit to the Russian Church" which arrived from a Catholic University
in Louisiana. It was SO NICE to read his firsthand experiences meeting the future Metropolitan Innokenty of Moscow, later
canonized at the Sergiev Posad Holy Trinity Monastery. Really a lot of fabulous information contained in that rare book.

Anyway, it's really going to be bad for the eyes of this and future generations to be squinting at these unnatural screens
which radiate, who knows what ?

If I see a good book about a serious topic anywhere, I copy the ISBN number from Amazon and then order from LIbrary.
If I KNOW the book is worth keeping, then I would purchase it so I can refer back to it.
Also so I can feel free to make notations of interesting points or pages --- !

This online reading of long text seems barbaric - to me, anyway !

Even Microfilm is easier to read than on a computer screen.

I couldn't be paid 1 million dollars to buy a stupidly-named "kindle". Even the word sounds ridiculous,
as though the promoters were trying WAY TOO HARD to find something warm-sounding
to replace the TRUE warmth of a nice old leather-bound BOOK.

Novels are for the birds....especially those in the last 40 years likely !

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: Reflections of a Russian Statesman

Post by Matthew »

One of the problems of the move toward all things becoming digital, even money itself, is that it removes any anonymity. They can build and exceptionally accurate and powerful database against us in order to know what is the most effective route to cracking our will, our minds, our resolve. We need to be true to Christ and resist the move towards total observation of our thoughts, words and deeds