My Parents Will Die Soon - What Can You Recommend?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Matthew
Protoposter

My Parents Will Die Soon - What Can You Recommend?

Post by Matthew »

Hello brothers and sisters,

My parents are in their late 80s and can't have much time left and they still do not believe in God much less the True Orthodox Faith. Is there something you can recommend to reach into their hearts? They are educated so it must be attractive on the level of reason but touching upon the heart in its appeal to their souls and natural spiritual hunger and fear of death, bringing them comfort and hope. And of course it must be Orthodox. I have no idea what to give them. They are thinking about death by the comments they make these days and even my mother is finally going not to Church services but has joined a Roman Catholic old ladies group that makes crafts which are sold by the parish to raise funds. So she is searching. They have to be worried about what will happen when their number comes up. What can you recommend? Please help me reach them for Christ and for Holy Orthodoxy, so that they can live forever and rejoice the heart of God and the Theotokos.

Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: My Parents Will Die Soon - What Can You Recommend?

Post by Maria »

Icxypion wrote:

Hello brothers and sisters,

My parents are in their late 80s and can't have much time left and they still do not believe in God much less the True Orthodox Faith. Is there something you can recommend to reach into their hearts? They are educated so it must be attractive on the level of reason but touching upon the heart in its appeal to their souls and natural spiritual hunger and fear of death, bringing them comfort and hope. And of course it must be Orthodox. I have no idea what to give them. They are thinking about death by the comments they make these days and even my mother is finally going not to Church services but has joined a Roman Catholic old ladies group that makes crafts which are sold by the parish to raise funds. So she is searching. They have to be worried about what will happen when their number comes up. What can you recommend? Please help me reach them for Christ and for Holy Orthodoxy, so that they can live forever and rejoice the heart of God and the Theotokos.

Symeon

All we can do is give a good example, be charitable, and pray for our friends and relatives. Conversion is a gift from God.

If we try to force them, they will only become more rebellious. My mom is in her 90s, and she is content with being a Protestant. When my uncle, a Catholic, visited her recently, and tried to get her to reconvert to Catholicism, he was shocked to see the Baptist pastor mowing her lawn, a bunch of elders fixing up her house free of charge, and the women's group washing her large windows. They told my uncle that since she is a widow, that scripture says the Church should take care of widows, so they do. My uncle has not said a word to my mom about rejoining the Catholic Church since that time. BTW, she will tell me these things to let me know that she is also not interested in Orthodoxy. I cannot even share my joy with her concerning my own recent baptism in the Orthodox Church without her thinking that I am trying to convert her, yet she expects me to listen about how great her Baptist church is. So, I listen and try to be loving as a daughter should be. However, it is hard, and so one-sided since she constantly asks me if I will accept one of her Baptist pastor's sermons. Thus, she does not blink at her own attempts to proselytize. Even worse are her attempts for force prayer on me. She does not even give me a chance to say, "No" as she will immediately start to pray in her protestant way.

Therefore, all I can do is to call her regularly, listen to her with love, and pray for her.

I have an idea though.

There are some children's books with lovely illustrations available from St. Vladimir Seminary Press.
I know that SVS being part of the OCA is not part of True Orthodoxy, but the books are not heretical.
(Yes, I am still new in the faith.) Would those be acceptable for your parents?

Sometimes grandparents like to read to their grandchildren, so you could ask them for their opinion about various religious books.

On the other hand, sometimes a book from C.S. Lewis, who was not Orthodox, but who certainly was very orthodox in his outlook, can be helpful.
I particularly liked his Space Trilogy. In fact, his book, The Problem with Pain, is outstanding as it deals with pain, suffering, and death.
These books by C.S. Lewis can lead to deep thought and discussion, which might open a door to True Orthodoxy.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Thank You, Maria. You are right, I suppose, that the best thing to do is pray and try to demonstrate something attractive to the Faith. Those Baptists are very good people to do those things for your mother. The heterodox surpass us in good works sometimes. Lord have mercy. I hope that the Grace of God will guide your mother and my parents to believing the True Faith. I will pray for your mother, too.

God bless, Symeon

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I just found a great little book:

Christianity or The Church
Holy New-Martyr Archbishop Harion (Troitsky)
Holy Trinity Monastery
Jordanville, New Work

I am starting a new thread on this book for open discussion.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.