The Mountain of Silence?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

The Mountain of Silence?

Post by stephendaniel »

Hello,

I wanted to ask your opinions of the book "The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality" by Kyriacos C. Markides. When I became a Roman Catholic years ago, it was given to me as a gift from my "godparent". I read it and it helped introduce me to Orthdoxy. By God's mercy and His Grace, I was led away from the Roman Catholic church to the True Church of Christ...

I have currently been trying to introduce and share what knowledge I have about Orthodoxy to my girlfriend. I've given her a brief, very simple catechism about the basics of the Church, as well as a Bible, and I am trying to find more reading materials for her that may be less "heavy" than something an established Orthodox Christian might read. Perhaps I am naive in this, but I thought of "The Mountain of Silence" and wondered if that might help her as it did me...

Then again, looking through it, I notice that Markides seems to place Orthodox "mysticism" on the same level as the "mystics" of different religions. I perceive that it may be risky to introduce my girlfriend to these writings as it may be an opportunity for temptation into investigating other religions. I do not know.

Are there any other books that might be more beneficial? Something easy to digest and absorb? Has anyone heard of "Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica"? Might this be a good place to proceed?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Asking for your prayers,
Stephen

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Re: The Mountain of Silence?

Post by joasia »

Hello Stephen,

I was Catholic too. I have read this book many years after conversion. It was quite insightful on the more deeper spiritual view of living for Christ. Yes, the author does interject comparisons with other mystisms, but I overlooked that since I understood the differences. Your girlfriend does need to read spiritual teachings that she can understand at her stage of development.

But, if I could offer some advise. You need to understand what it is that she needs to understand about God. For example, for me, it was discovering the truth about the Great Schism. I had no idea about that history and when I found out, it was a spiritual revelation. Because for me, realizing that the pope of Rome broke away from the other 4 Patriarchs, was understanding that the pope seperated from the true Church.

I knew a Protestant woman who came to realize the truth of Orthodoxy because she discovered the meaning of Apostolic succession. You see, Stephen, God knows how to reach a person. He just waits for that person to be ready to accept the information. It's not up to us to figure out what will help the person, because we don't know exactly what we can say to make them wake up. I'm sure you also have had the experience of someone saying something that pierced your heart without realizing it. I have yet to figure out what will impress my brother.

Most important is that we don't force the subject. Let her ask the questions. All you need to do is continue living your Orthodox faith being true to yourself. You will be surprise what simple fact will bring her to the truth. Just pray for her. God is watching over her.

I also have a Catholic friend that I can talk with about spiritual matters, but she is so dead set about her love of the Catholic faith and doesn't want to hear about Orthodox teachings. We still can support each other with spiritual talk, but I don't know what will influence her to see Orthodoxy as the truth.

My personal view is that I think the best readings, for your girlfriend, is the lives of Orthodox saints. Not their writings, but their lives. I won't suggest any specifics because I feel that you will come across them as God wills. God will reveal Himself to her through their lives.

In Christ,
Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Although The Mountain of Silence does contain good dialogue, there are some passages that are not good for beginners. Therefore, it must be read with discretion and spiritual discernment.

Reading the lives of the Orthodox Christian saints is the best step. Praying the Psalms and having a good prayerbook are also very important.

I have started another thread here where people can contribute ideas about good books to read.
Here is the link: http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... f=2&t=9369

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

stephendaniel
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROAC - Catechumen

Post by stephendaniel »

Thank you both so much.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

When I was still in the OCA about ten years ago, Mother Victoria said during a retreat that The Mountain of Silence is a great coffee table book. The very title intrigues guys. In addition, since Dr. Kyriakos Markides was struggling in the Orthodox faith at the time he was writing this book, he asked a lot of interesting relevant questions that appeal to agnostics who have abandoned their Greek Orthodox roots.

For example, questions were asked by parents whose sons and daughters had decided to enter monastism. These parents had provided expensive college educations to Ivy League schools as they had hoped that their sons and daughters would follow them in the family business. Therefore, they became quite upset, so upset that a few were plotting to kill the Archimandrite for guiding their children into monasticism. By his truthful and caring attitude, the hieromonk was able to calm the parents and help them learn more about their own faith.

Many other delicate questions were posed to the hieromonk who always answered tactfully and spiritually, and with a refreshing sense of humor.

I think the benefits of reading this book outweigh some of the ecumenism promoted in this book. Yes, it should be read with discretion.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.