Calendar

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Kybihetz21

Calendar

Post by Kybihetz21 »

I posted something similar to this earlier today and now it is gone/missing.
I am trying to find an Orthodox Calendar for the current year (one that uses the Church Calendar, i.e. “old style”). Most languages are ok, but I will prefer it to be a wall calendar versus a booklet one. Thanks for your help.

Catherine5

Re: Calendar

Post by Catherine5 »

Kyb, you must have heard of the Russian Orthodox Youth Committee calendars? The 2010 seems nice with icons and short biographies of some of the Russian saints lesser known to converts, but very influential in Russian spiritual history. For example, St Savva of Svenigorod, whose relics' translation was attended by the Tsar, Alexey Mikhailovich, as I recall. Or the amazing St Alexander Svirsky. These are included with many well known Saints such as St Tikhon of Zadonsk, St Amvrosy of Optina. I like the icon of St Theophan, thinking may be a product of Jordanville earlier when the 4 Saints were glorified by ROCOR. If you happen to decide to get a copy of the calendar, maybe you could let me know. I don't care for the MP ones as well.

The sole glitch is getting past the page with the welcome by Bishop Gabriel of Canada.
Too, what do you think about whether wise to purchase anything from ROCOR-MP. I don't think it is too terrible to do if there are not other alternatives in decorative wall calendars - probably there aren't until the TOC's start producing their own!
I can't stand those pocket ones, myself. Some of the big monasteries in russia produce their own calendars, with much more in-depth coverage of Saints and holy figures related to their monasteries. The staff research really carefully and travel all over to get good illustrations.

The way this particular calendar has the listings, however, is slightly confusing to the non-Russian speaker as the description of each day on the right side has not even a quick summary in English.
Next to that, one can view a full month display with a large civil date and smaller Old Calendar numeral for each day,

--When I was checking if ROYC has a website to which to refer any interested people, I ran across the following listing from Alibris.
I had never heard of this publication, by ROYC perhaps at its height in the era of Metr Philaret. Any input here? It looks extremely interesting! [I love that old Church style; especially cannot stand the St Petersburg/European Baroque style. The tent style does not appeal me nearly as much as the Classic domes.]

"Architecture of Russia from Old to Modern Volume I: Churches and Monasteries
by Russian Orthodox Youth Committee
price: $6.00
Binding: Hardcover Publisher: Russian Orthodox Youth Committee, [New York] Date published: 1973
Description: Very good in very good dust jacket. Text in English, Russian"

The current email of ROYC - almost wrote ROTC - is calendars2@verizon.net - maybe they have back copies of this too.
I know they have Metropolitan Philaret's sermons in 2 volumes, if any one is interested. If can't read Russian, the pictures are worth the price of the books.

Kybihetz21

Post by Kybihetz21 »

The ROYC used to be one of the prides of the ROCA. Its yearly church calendars, as well as the beautiful books and pamphlets published by them, carried the spirit of Holy Russia to those of us that where not able to personally witness it.

It was my understanding that matushka Irina Dutikova (Irene Dutikow, Fr. Wsevolod Dutikow’s wife) was in charge of the publishing of those calendars, but since the divisions and schisms of the last 10 years, I really don’t know who is doing what anymore.

I wonder if the new calendar has the Russian or the new Soviet lettering. One of the nice things about their publications was the fact that they kept the original Russian letters, not the ones imposed by the communist government.

I rather purchase something from a traditionalist/old calendar jurisdiction (whichever it may be), therefore helping them in their struggle, than making the MP or someone else richer than they are. Sadly, most jurisdictions are too busy fighting each other to publish anything worth the time. I do hope that those that formerly did have something new (the Greek Church under Metropolitan Pavlos used to publish a yearly calendar, quite nice, and I do have some of the older ones).

I also have some of the older Russian Calendars published by the ROYC, wonder how good this one is.

If you don’t have that book, GET IT! (the one about the monasteries and churches; I don't know if they ever published the second volume or not). It is great, and it sells elsewhere for $20 to $100 + (depends on the site, I do have a copy of it). ALL the books published by the ROYC during the 70s and 80s are worth having. I never bought Vladika Filaret’s sermons because they were extremely expensive (at the Jordanville bookstore), but I will check that site, they may be cheaper there.

Thanks for your help.

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

I suspect it's the new orthography, because I don't see the letter that looked like a cross; and all the writing looks standard modern.
I'm pretty sure it's Nadia Mokhov who does the Calendars now. She had cooperated with Matushka Irene previously, so I bet she took it over since May 2007, as the deacon and she stayed. Why, I have no thought.

For all these reasons, I understand well why you'd prefer the Old Calendar calendar!
I like the wall format too, and that may be difficult to find.
I save all calendars too with good illustrations. It feels like sacrilege to throw them away! Did not know about ROYC til 2005, so have none earlier.

I appreciate your advice about the architecture book and took action immediately!
Yes, those were the days, and who could foresee the drastic changes that happened after them?
I'm glad they got in the 20th anniversary of Metropolitan Philaret's repose in that special 2005 Calendar devoted to him.
Matushka Irene said, however, that some of the youth didn't remember him by that time, so it was a good idea to bring his life sharply back into focus with their lovely pictures of him.
They had that snapshot of St John AND Metropolitan Philaret serving together at I think a Holy Protection Church in LA on July 4, 1965 or so. I wonder why the two of them would have been paying a pastoral visit so far south.
Whomever the fortunate parishioner who was receiving the Holy Mysteries from the Metropolitan was, she is really blessed. Immortalized forever, too! Wonder if anyone still around knows who she was.

Joanna Higginbotham

Post by Joanna Higginbotham »

http://www.sjkp.org/

2010 Wall Calendar for Orthodox Christians
Twelve monthly sheets, 8.5x11". Feast and fast days clearly indicated. Principal commemoration(s) for each day, daily Scripture readings and still enough room for a few notes on the day's activities. Center-punched for hanging. Ships late October.
Item# 3383. (DC: M) Stapled. $5.00. Quantity: Add to Cart

Kybihetz21

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Thank you so much!
I had forgotten about SJKP … I guess that after the schism in the 2000s I placed them (along with those that chose Metropolitan Laurus up to the end) as part of the “new ROCOR”, and had simply not thought about Fr. Gregory going with Metropolitan Agathangel when the “Union” took place a few years ago … well I already ordered one, so I am very grateful to you for sending me that link! May all of you have a blessed and peaceful Lent.