Fr. Seraphim: Genesis, Creation and Early Man

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Joanna Higginbotham

Re: Fr. Seraphim: Genesis, Creation and Early Man

Post by Joanna Higginbotham »

Joasia: I know $142 is ridiculous. But, consider it is really only 3 and 1/2 times the original price. I know people who spend that on a hairdo [for real].

I saw it for sale here, but I doubt if it is still in stock. It was $40.

EN_AP3019 GENESIS, CREATION AND EARLY MAN 
By Fr. Seraphim Rose. The Orthodox Christian vision. 710 pages, $40.00 
http://www.alexiapublications.com

I had an idea. Maybe your parish would be willing to buy a copy for the parish library. It would only take 4 people willing to give the $40 to have this book in the parish library.

Pravoslavnik:
Would you please compare this online version of Russia's Catacomb Saints with your hardcopy and see if you can tell if the online version is complete?

http://www.theophanydesigns.com/rcs/

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Joanna,

The price is criminal. I would never pay out that kind of money for a book, as much as I appreciate Fr. Seraphim's work. I would rather give that money to someone in need or to my Parish. And although I've never met Fr. Seraphim, I think that in his Christian view, he would prefer that the money be given to charity.

I do appreciate your effort in resolving this, though. I see that you've put a lot of thought into it. But, if you ever hear of anyone that owns the book, I would gladly pay a reasonable price for it.

Thank you. :)

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Post by Pravoslavnik »

Joanna,

Code: Select all

The chapter headings of the online posting of [i]Russia's Catacomb Saints[/i] above are an exact match of my 1982 edition of the book from St. herman's Press.  The text in the preface and intro is also an exact match.  I did not re-read the text of the various chapters to check for any alterations.  It appears to be a good replica of the original..
Joanna Higginbotham

Post by Joanna Higginbotham »

For sure, it does not seem right for a parish to build up their parish library, while they neglect a parishioner in need of alms.

All we really know about Fr. Seraphim is that he loved truth.

We see the injustices in the world and we do not want to have any part in it. The Amazon price is unjust.

Christ ransomed us for an unfair price. Maybe, somebody might want to "ransom" this book, even tho' the price is unfair.

Is this similar to when we find an Holy icon in an antique shop? Do we pay the evil price, or do we leave it there?

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Joanna,

Your comparison is not accurate. An icon is an holy image. And we cannot compare Christ's ransom for our souls to a book.

I looked at the link but can't see where the book is.

As far as my Parish library, we don't have much and it's all in Russian except the two books I donated of Br. Joseph and the Myrr-Streaming icon of the Theotokos.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

jckstraw72
Jurisdiction: OCA

Post by jckstraw72 »

i was told that God-willing the new edition would be out early next year.

Glory to God for all Things!