ROCiE Priest writes book

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Catherine5

ROCiE Priest writes book

Post by Catherine5 »

Has anyone seen that book called "The Bushel and The Candlestick: Nine Lifesaving Miracles" or similar?
    It's written someone who simply calls himself "Priest John" but he talks about Bishop Anthony of Los Angeles. Later he specifies "Met Anthony [Orloff]" -
    but the book is not about jurisdictions.
    It's about all sorts of unpleasant things that I don't care to read about, drug addicts, etc. who recover.
    He mentions first a miracle from 2004 due to oil given him by Abbess Eugenia of Moss Beach Convent.
    But I could hardly stand to read all the details of the drug addict who recovered as a result of this oil from the Vladimirskaya Icon which miraculously renewed itself in Harbin, China.
    No way for me, not what I want to even focus my attention for more than one minute!
    But this more personalized, informal style chronicle may be inspiring for many who know people struggling with these serious problems.
    This Priest John and his Matushka run some sort of refuge for these derelict people - a noble effort.

Thought I would mention it in case anyone has interest in this to perhaps give to souls suffering from these problems so prevalent today.
    There's also the intellectual book by Fr Mel Webber on addiction from Orthodox angle. Published by Conciliar Press, it's called "Steps of Transformation: An Orthodox Priest Explores the Twelve Steps". Not my interest, but maybe useful for others.
    This is the abbot of the St John Monastery at Manton CA founded by current Met Jonah. He admits he was a former alcoholic, and is a big proponent of those [completely secular] 12-step programs.
    Rather strangely, on the list of those thanked by the author is - ugh! - the man who was prosecuted for horrible crimes in California as a Greek priest, and defrocked. He is reportedly now a monk there. As the monastery focuses on addiction recovery. It's highly popular with American converts to Orthodoxy who have these problems. But is it advisable to have such a person on the premises when many are coming and going for the frequent retreats put on there?