Orthodox Psychotherapy

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Orthodox Psychotherapy

Post by Cyprian »

Neither Hierotheos Vlachos nor Chrysostomos of Etna are Orthodox. Therefore, one should exercise extreme caution when reading their writings and be reticent to promote them.
It is unfortunate that Bp. Christodoulos and some of his clergy manifest a proclivity for promoting the thought of New-calendarist, schismatic-heretics these days. One wonders if Joanna learned of this writing of Hierotheos Vlachos by seeing a quote from his work on the new website for Sts. Nectarios and George, which was recently linked to here?

There are plenty of writings authored by the God-bearing fathers of the Church to read regarding these topics. One must question why Bp. Christodoulos (and clergy in obedience to him) are so frequently praising and promoting New-calendarist schismatic-heretics?

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Cyprian,

Why don't you just address me directly instead of referring to me in the third party? I was given this book a while back. So I have no idea what you're referring to.

If you want to come out and say something, then just say it! What exactly are you saying about me? And since you haven't noticed, I'll point something out to you...I listed plenty of other books that I read, by the holy fathers; and that's not the full list. Or perhaps you think they are heretics too. My main library is of the patristics, so when I read Bp. Hierotheos' book, I saw that it reflected the teachings of the holy fathers.

Your criticism is based on ignorance. You don't know what I'm talking about if you haven't read what I've read, in his book. Just like a person can't discuss about being Orthodox Christian when they haven't been baptised. All they can do is observe from the outside and critic those who are Orthodox Christians. But, they have no idea about the spiritual warefare of those who are baptised.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

joasia wrote:

Cyprian,

Why don't you just address me directly instead of referring to me in the third party?

Greetings Joanna,

Why didn't I just address you directly? Because my post was not about you.

If you want to come out and say something, then just say it!

I believe I did. I think I made my position on Hierotheos Vlachos and HOTCA quite clear.

What exactly are you saying about me?

Nothing at all. My post was not about you. I'm sorry that you think I was leveling criticism at you in some way. I was not.

Recently one of the moderators of this forum posted a link to a new website of one of their new parishes. When one followed the link provided, right on the home page there was a quote from "Orthodox Psychotherapy" by Met. Vlachos, along with a couple of other quotes by true holy fathers. I merely wondered aloud if this is where you became introduced to this writing of his. Promoting New-calendarist thought seems to be a common occurence within the synod of the HOTCA, overseen by Met. Pavlos and his vicar, Bp. Christodoulos. Bp. Christodoulos seems quite enamored with Dr. John Romanides and his writings. Of course Romanides and Vlachos ran in the same circles before Fr. John died, and as you might have noticed, Hierotheos Vlachos praised this fellow-heretic on multiple occasions in his book "Orthodox Psycotherapy".

Let's not divert our attention from the truly important point, Joasia. My post was not all about you. My point still stands. Hierotheos Vlachos is not Orthodox, but a New-calendarist schismatic in communion with Bartholomew and all the rest of the freemasons who have taken over the EP and the state Church of Greece. His writings are dangerous, and I felt it necessary to point out that we should be careful about publicly promoting the writings of heretics. Even if much of what Hierotheos Vlachos writes is true or profound, it only takes one drop of ink to pollute a pristine glass of water.

My intention was not to make you the central focus of this thread, Joasia. I acknowledge that it was perhaps imprudent to even bring your name up at all. It has served to become a distraction, which was not my intention.

Can you simply tell us whether or not Hierotheos Vlachos is Orthodox or not? If you deem him to be Orthodox, then I guess I'm not the only one basing my criticism in ignorance. If you acknowledge that Vlachos is not Orthodox, then you validate the points that I have made.

Wishing you and everyone a joyous Nativity!

Cyprian

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

What's interesting to me is how the Philokalia contains writings from the heretic Evagrios the Solitary, yet St. Nicodemos did not see a problem in including them because they were of good quality. I wonder then, if what Metropolitan Hierotheos writes is beneficial or accurate, why it would be a problem to cite him, especially since there is a dearth of Orthodox writings available from True Orthodox sources that cover the topics he does. Cyprian elaborates that Met. Hierotheos is tainted by his associations with Fr. John Romanides, yet (and I admit it's been several years since I read Orthodox Pyschotherapy) I believe the majority of the book is just an elaboration and organizing of patristic quotes on the subject. I found the book extremely helpful in showing me the intrinsic difference between Orthodoxy and other confessions.

Perhaps, Cyprian, if you are so interested, you might like to point out any passages in the work that you believe are heretical.

Fr Anastasios

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Cyprian,

Christ is Born!

I’m sorry for lashing out on you. But, I can tell you that what I read was purely Orthodox by the standards of the holy fathers. I was ready with pen and highlighter to magnify any heretical views, but I didn’t find any. I knew he was with the ecumenists...that’s why I didn’t pick up the book for two years. Then I thought, let’s see the lies he’s teaching. And the more I read, the more I started seeing within my own soul. He pointed out things, by the teachings of the holy fathers, that made me realize something deeper within myself.

I don’t know about his associations, but all I am referring to is his writing in this particular book. Who knows, perhaps someone else wrote it and he took the credit, like Shakespeare. But, I can guarentee you that what is written, in this book, is close to the likes of St. Theophane the Recluse’s, The Path to Salvation; St. Gregory of Nyssa, From Glory to Glory and and the Philokalia (any volume).

It just doesn’t make sense that a person can be associated with certain people, as you say, and write such profound spiritual insight that we can see into ourselves, as a purely Orthodox perspective. But, you will never understand what I’m saying unless you read it yourself. So, at this point, there really can’t be any further discussion of the context of this book. Your church politics will have to be put aside for another thread.

Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

Fr Anastasios wrote:

What's interesting to me is how the Philokalia contains writings from the heretic Evagrios the Solitary, yet St. Nicodemos did not see a problem in including them because they were of good quality. I wonder then, if what Metropolitan Hierotheos writes is beneficial or accurate, why it would be a problem to cite him, especially since there is a dearth of Orthodox writings available from True Orthodox sources that cover the topics he does. Cyprian elaborates that Met. Hierotheos is tainted by his associations with Fr. John Romanides, yet (and I admit it's been several years since I read Orthodox Pyschotherapy) I believe the majority of the book is just an elaboration and organizing of patristic quotes on the subject. I found the book extremely helpful in showing me the intrinsic difference between Orthodoxy and other confessions.

Perhaps, Cyprian, if you are so interested, you might like to point out any passages in the work that you believe are heretical.

Fr Anastasios

Evagrios was condemned for his speculative theology but not for his writings on Prayer, Watchfulness, Asceticism, and Discrimination in respect for the Passions and Thoughts which is why these topics are included in The Philokalia. St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain had the foresight to include these very Orthodox writings and not the speculative theological topics which gave him problems in later Councils.

On the other hand when one has an experience of the Grace of God or the uncreated Light one can read the True Traditional Orthodox Saint's Writings and clearly hear what they are saying. With the writings of Met. Hierotheos and others who subscribe to the the Orthodox Psychotherapy one is hard pressed to see the correlation between his/her experience and what the author is saying. The writings of Met. Hierotheos and others are based on what is being taught in seminaries today which are heavily influenced by Western Civilization Secularization. There is one "Orthodox" seminary in the Northeastern United States which the teaching is heavily influenced by the many Protestants on their Board and Faculty that is no longer resembles the teaching of True Traditional Orthodoxy but in fact is not.

In this day and age we no longer have Spiritual Fathers but Licensed Clinical Psychologists that are licensed in their respective States. Sounding more like Russia is it not.

Ephrem
Jurisdiction: FROC/ROAC

Post by Ephrem »

Do you have some examples of how the book is contrary to real experience and based on western secularism?

Ephrem Cummings, Subdeacon
ROAC