Orthodox Psychotherapy

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Orthodox Psychotherapy

Post by jgress »

@Jason: Be careful. Any polemical discussions involving the True Orthodox churches will be moved to the private forum. This thread should focus on the Orthodoxy or heterodoxy of Met Hierotheos' book Orthodox Psychotherapy.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

I didn't have to read very far into this book before Met. Hierotheos started showering praises upon Fr. John Romanides. It was at this point that it became clear to me that poor Met. Hierotheos is suffering from prelest, and it would be a waste of my time to read his psychotherapy babble. After all, he considers John Romanides to be a mentor, who promulgated plenty of psycho-babble nonsense himself. As Philoteus correctly pointed out, I find it preferable to receive instruction about these topics directly from the Holy Fathers, rather than teachings filtered through the disturbed and confused minds of so-called "theologians" of the likes of Romanides and Vlachos.

jgress

Post by jgress »

Cyprian wrote:

I didn't have to read very far into this book before Met. Hierotheos started showering praises upon Fr. John Romanides. It was at this point that it became clear to me that poor Met. Hierotheos is suffering from prelest, and it would be a waste of my time to read his psychotherapy babble. After all, he considers John Romanides to be a mentor, who promulgated plenty of psycho-babble nonsense himself. As Philoteus correctly pointed out, I find it preferable to receive instruction about these topics directly from the Holy Fathers, rather than teachings filtered through the disturbed and confused minds of so-called "theologians" of the likes of Romanides and Vlachos.

Interesting. Both you and Philoteus seem to think that guilt by association is a valid form of argument.

The next post better provide something backed up by evidence or this thread will be locked.

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

Philoteus.[/quote]

I think you should answer her questions and produce some examples of Met Hierotheos' alleged heresies.[/quote]

And I think you should mind your own business!

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

Elder Philotheos Zervakos On Today's Theologians

Elder Philotheos Zervakos said:

"Today I see many learned Theologians and Scientists, but one Basil the Great, one Gregory the Theologian, one divine Chrysostom, one Athanasius the Great I do not see. Those ever-memorable and all-honorable Fathers were not praised so much for their erudite education, as much as for their virtues. Do you currently exclude the possibility for one today from becoming great and wondrous and virtuous? Or maybe God today does not give His Grace like He did in the olden days? No. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He gives His Grace to the strugglers and the contenders."

jgress

Post by jgress »

Philoteus wrote:

Philoteus.

I think you should answer her questions and produce some examples of Met Hierotheos' alleged heresies.

And I think you should mind your own business!

Actually, it IS my business to ensure threads stay on topic and adhere to high standards of discussion.

Thread locked.