Questionable prayer to our Most Holy Lady the Mother of God

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Catherine5

Re: Questionable prayer to our Most Holy Lady the Mother of God

Post by Catherine5 »

[If anyone would like a copy of The Orthodox Veneration of Mary, let me know. I have a few extra, one at least from its first printing which I got at that Monastery back in probably 1994. I realized I have too many and am not using them and should find a good home for them.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Questionable prayer to our Most Holy Lady the Mother of

Post by Maria »

This prayer followed right after the Akathist on page 82. It reads:

My most gracious Queen, my hope, Mother of God, shelter of orphans, and intercessor of travellers, strangers and pilgrims, joy of those in sorrow, protectress of the wronged, see my distress, see my affliction! Help me, for I am helpless. Feed me, for I am a stranger and pilgrim. Though knowest my offence; forgive and resolve it as though wilt. For I know no other help but thee, no other intercessor, no gracious consoler but thee, O Mother of God, to guard and protect me throughout the ages. Amen.

I have the 1996 printing of this book, so I have corrected an omission in the above prayer from the OP. The word "no" is highlighted in blue font. "For I know no other help but thee" ...

If one were to pray the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos, one also finds similar wording.
Of all humans, the Theotokos is our intercessor and helper. Since she is the Mother of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, she is in a very powerful position to respond to our needs as our Lord has exalted her as His Queen and Mother.

Most Holy Theotokos save us.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Thank you Maria, for bringing this up. I recognize the prayer from the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos, now, because I have been reading it for the past two years. I am amazed by my past stupidity. Actually, I amaze myself everyday.

The Theotokos certainly is in a position to intercede for us for our salvation.

Fr. Mark, please forgive me for offending you.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

joasia wrote:

Thank you Maria, for bringing this up. I recognize the prayer from the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos, now, because I have been reading it for the past two years. I am amazed by my past stupidity. Actually, I amaze myself everyday.

The Theotokos certainly is in a position to intercede for us for our salvation.

God grant you many years.

When I am attentive at prayers, phrases in our hymns and services will pop out at me. The Holy Services never cease to amaze me. I too have learned much this year just from praying.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

joasia wrote:

If you meant something offensive, it did not reach me.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia