Antichrist: Islam's Awaited Messiah

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

Very interesting how you both attack me and Islam.
Just like I was saying!

So, where's the explanation of the lack of compassion and kindness for one's fellow human beings which I make the point that Muslims practise. But I don't see contemporary Christians doing much at all and the Orthodox are among the least charitable.
Where's the admission that this is true, and a resolve to improve?
That's the constructive reply to my words.
But no one will even lift a finger, yet they can sit in their armchairs by a warm fire comfortably pontificating while their fellow True Orthodox Christians are miserable from cold and hunger and many difficulties - where is the explanation about why a True Orthodox priest could be so unkind in his remarks? That's what I'm waiting to hear, not the acid remarks made.

I didn't bother to even read that degrading first comment; it's shocking to me how inhumane people calling themselves Christians can be yet how superior they make themselves sound to others, using membership in Orthodoxy as their vehicle to assure them of being in the Elite Club so that they can speak rudely or cruelly as they feel like. That's NOT how religion is supposed to be deployed.
It's like the ancient Hebrews. Haven't we gone beyond this chosen people thing with everybody else as trash?!

Why not do some real SELF-examination instead of lashing out at an enemy that can't even refute your charges against them because they aren't on here?
It's the easy road to heap shame on others. But tell me why there are so many alcoholics among Russian clergy and parishioners both?? Something's wrong in the Orthodox world and needs examining.
Should people not be figuring out a way to help their own people to address whatever is really bothering them? It's childish to gang up on a foreign and little understood people and religion, especially when there aren't that many living models among the Orthodox population that we feel like emulating? Something is rotten in Denmark, as was said in Hamlet...so don't attack ME, but figure out how to use constructive criticism to benefit. Why not start a relief effort right now for all suffering True Orthodox?
It's too easy to sit around complaining about somebody else's belief system - which everyone here is likely to agree with and slap you on the back for.

Why not be original, think for yourself but more than anything, use your HEART instead, feel the pain of others in your own group- and then organize to do something to alleviate that!!!

mmcxristidis

Re: Antichrist: Islam's Awaited Messiah

Post by mmcxristidis »

You sound like a true humanitarian along the lines of the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.
Hope you had a happy Ramadan and may your god Allah bless your sweet heart

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Re: Antichrist: Islam's Awaited Messiah

Post by Pravoslavnik »

Catherine,

Code: Select all

It is not for me to judge any person.  Who am I to judge another man's servant? 

St. Paul wrote in one of his epistles that God will judge people based partly on what has been revealed to them-- "Those who have the Law (Torah) will be judged by the Law," etc.  Yet, we must surely trust in the teachings of the Church and the holy saints of God in matters of [i]theology[/i], the "fabric woven on high."  Can we truly have a favorable opinion of any "theology" which denies the Unity and Divinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?  

Hence, I would not judge an individual Moslem--who may be righteous in the sight of God-- but I would judge the tenants of his [i]religion [/i]based upon the teachings of the Church and the discernment of our saints.

P.S. In Constantinople, at Hagia Sophia, the Turks covered the mosaic icons of Christ, the Theotokos, and the saints with plaster. I have seen entire mosques that were built from the stones of demolished Orthodox churches. One example is the demolished Basilica of St. John outside of Ephesus, built (like Hagia Sophia) by the Emperor Justinian in the fifth century. The Turks also demolished the great Church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople, which contained the relics of many Apostles. Can this be a good thing?