Christianity and Egyptian Mythology

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

Euthymios wrote:

BOOKS

Myth Became Fact (essay), by Lewis

The Gospel and the Greeks, by Nash

Jesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament, by Bruce

The Case for the Real Jesus, edited by Strobel

Good list. Don't forget these ones.

The Virgin Birth of Christ, by Gresham

Historical and Literary Studies: Pagan, Jewish and Christian, by Bruce

Pauline Baptism and the Pagan Mysteries, by Gunter

Persia and the Bible, by Yamauchi

They also refute the pagan-parallel lie.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Incognito,

They can have good scholarship in their particular areas of specialty.

They can, if it's limited to proving the physical facts in the Holy Bible concerning the events with geological and biological evidence. They've done a lot of research on that.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

I don't know of any Orthodox who are real experts in biblical scholarship, apologetics and historical Jesus studies. Orthodox are too busy chasing each others tails and anathematizing and deposing each other.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Orthodox are too busy chasing each others tails and anathematizing and deposing each other.

That is quite judgemental. You are stating this about every living Orthodox soul. Since it's that bad in your eyes, why do you continue to post here?

I understand your frustration, but do not let yourself become despondent about the struggles of others. Worry about your own sinful state.

The arguements are a big temptation for everyone, even yourself. You seem to be doing a good job, on yourself. It's really about that, you know....allowing it to affect oneself. You spend so much time pointing out how everyone else is "chasing each others tails" and you don't seem to realize that you are doing the exact same thing. Whose tails have you been chasing lately? Whose next?

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Post by Pravoslavnik »

Dear Non-Cognito,

Code: Select all

Well, there is always the Tubingenian historical-critical Protestantism of the "Orthodox" Bible scholar from St. Vladimir's Seminary, Paul Tarazi.  The poor man is quite similar to the myriad, narcissistic Bible "scholars" that populate America's Protestant seminaries--perhaps like yourself?  As for the misguided German/Protestant search for the "historical" Jesus, have you read Luke Timothy Johnson's rather incisive critique of the "Jesus Seminar?"  It is entitled, [i]The Real Jesus; The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus, and the Truth of the Traditional Gospels.[/i]  You should probably also begin with some remedial reading of the Orthodox Biblical commentaries of St. John Chrysostom, and of St. Seraphim of Sarov's conversation with Motovilov.  Has anything more eloquent, true, and existentially relevant ever been written in the way of Biblical exegesis than that???  Certainly not by some deluded, cogitating, modern Protestant "scholar" with a dictionary of Greek words used in the New Testament!!  I would trust and prefer the "Golden Mouth" of Chrysostomos any day..
Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

I haven't read that book but I am familiar with Luke Timothy Johnson. Several books have been written refuting the liberal Jesus Seminar organization.

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

Pravoslavnik wrote:

Dear Non-Cognito,
Well, there is always the Tubingenian historical-critical Protestantism of the "Orthodox" Bible scholar from St. Vladimir's Seminary, Paul Tarazi. The poor man is quite similar to the myriad, narcissistic Bible "scholars" that populate America's Protestant seminaries--perhaps like yourself?

Tubingen was a liberal university. I don't understand how you make the connection between conservative biblical scholarship and that school. Just because a person loves the Scriptures and does biblical scholarship, does not mean they have an affinity with Tubingen. There is no logical correlation.