THE SECRET

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

stumbler wrote:

I would consider your job as a customer service job though, whether others would call it sales or not.

Now THAT'S funny.

A car salesman --

1) Customer walks into the showroom because he ALREADY wants to buy the product (car,truck, etc.)

2) Customer says "I want that car with a truckbed on the back".

3) Salesman, after looking at brochure, replies "I am sorry, but a truckbed on the back is not an option."

4) Customer says "I want that car in orange-purple"

5) Salesperson, after looking at brochure, replies. "I am sorry, but it only comes in these colors..."

6) Customer gives up on what he wants - because the car salesman CAN ONLY SELL what the manufacturer makes, the way the manufacturer makes it.

7) Customer and Salesman sit down - and they fill out the order checking off the options the customer wants.

8) The salesman has absolutely NO CONTROL over the product. He can only take ORDERS for what the manufacturer gives him to sell.

9) A car salesman is the archtype for an ORDER TAKER.

As opposed to what I do, where I go in and evaluate the client's business, help the executive bring to light any problems, develop a proposal to solve those problems, present the proposal and get a signature to go forward.

Now, WHO would you say is doing REAL sales here?

1) Someone who sits at a small metal desk on a showroom floor and waits for someone to walk through the double-doors to place an order for a car.

2) Someone who actively searches out clients, defines problems, crafts solutions and gets the client to implement them.

Hmmm?

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Tom,

There is a flaw in your arguement...

Salesmen work on commission, hence, it is to their interest that the customer buys the product. To ensure that, part of it is to make it possible to give them whatever they are looking for in that product, to the best of that ability. They will do whatever it takes to make that sale.

Customer Service get's no commission, and pretty much deals with the order, but mostly the HEADACHES the customer gives.

I know. I deal with that everyday.

You, are both. You sell the product and help in implementation and adjustments.

Car salesmen don't have to deal with car problems. They move on to the next kill. And the only reason they sign the person on is to suck them into paying out more, during the sign up. If they had an assistant to do all the paperwork, then they'd probably get jipped because the assistant doesn't make the commission so wouldn't be thinking of every way to suck more money from the customer.

I think that covers it.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

joasia wrote:

You, are both. You sell the product and help in implementation and adjustments.

Precisely my point. Unlike someone who just takes the order, I first need to make the client aware of why he needs my services and then convince him that I am the best person to fill that need.

I do 360 degree sales. A car salesman is 90 degree sales; He simply provides the prduct that the client already wants.

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

Oh for the love of peace of mind...

Get over it Tom. Stumbler makes very good points. Why are you being so sarcastic with your response to him?

The problem with you is that you have a grandiose mentality. Most of us here can understand about the nuances of customer services and sales. But, YOU have to take it to the next level, of "I'm special because I have my own business". "I'm a consultant".

Again, I say, get over it, Mr. Know-it-all. You think you know everything about Orthodoxy or business or marriage or raising a child.

Can I ask you something? Do you know ANYTHING about being courteous or friendly or polite? Do you know anything about having a friendly conversation witout being confrontational and turning it into a battle of comments?

Considering the history you have here...I think not. This is all a game to you. For your own personal amusement.

Can we please have a normal conversation and exchange our views without this darned sarcasm and verbal stone-throwing?

Are you mature enough to do that? I'll give you some time to think about it.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

joasia wrote:

But, YOU have to take it to the next level, of "I'm special because I have my own business". "I'm a consultant".

Its nice to see that you finally see my brilliance.

joasia wrote:

Again, I say, get over it, Mr. Know-it-all. You think you know everything about Orthodoxy or business or marriage or raising a child.

Well, seeing you know NOTHING about 3 out of the 4, I believe you should be more respectful of my knowledge.

joasia wrote:

Are you mature enough to do that? I'll give you some time to think about it.

Smell the glove.

:mrgreen:

joasia
Protoposter

Post by joasia »

It is clear to everyone here, who reads this thread,that you have proven my point.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

joasia wrote:

It is clear to everyone here, who reads this thread,that you have proven my point.

And, as you also should realize, their opinions matter not a wit to me.