Mystical Wisdom by Elder Joseph

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Philoteus

Mystical Wisdom by Elder Joseph

Post by Philoteus »

I recently purchased this with the hopes of learning all about mystical wisdom but I find it very difficult reading. Now it may be because it is addressed to specific questions by people whom Joseph directed. It is in letter form. But it still is very hard reading and I am trying to see where I can discern what is addressed to me.

Has anyone else had this "problem"? I was thinking of purchasing other books by elders and persons whom spent years on Athos but if this is the type of writing I will encounter I don't think I am going to get much out of it. Problem is my/our western way of reading may have more to do with the
lack of comprehension.

Have a blessed day.

Philoteus

Post by Philoteus »

Doesnt anyone have any comment to make? Judging by the dates on the posts and the amount of posts on this website, either this website has seen its better days or everyone has so boxed themselves in with their orthodoxy and all others are the heretics that you are all in stagnation.
I think I am going to unsubscribe or no longer come here. There is nothing of interest here so goodbye.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Dear Philoteus,

It has only been 70 hours since youfirst asked and many people do not have lots of free time, perhaps only going online once or twice a week. Likewise many people start going offline once the Lenten Triodion is upon us as they take the time to pray more intently and do more spiritual reading without the distractions of the online world. So instead I ask you to consider being more patient and perhaps with time your question shall be answered. I would answer your question, but I do not own the book, and am not able to, which is likely the case with many others as well.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Philoteus,

Calm down. It's not a personal offense against you, if people don't respond to this right away. I, for example, don't frequent this section often. You seem a little emotional.

I haven't read this particular book, but I've read others. But, the comment you made about "learning" about mystical wisdom shows that you are quite green. You can't LEARN mystical wisdom. It's not a step-by-step program. It's like trying to teach a 2 year old to learn about becoming an adult. He has to live the years of experience to get there. Get it?

Stick around. Keep your eyes open and read. The first step to wisdom, my dear, is to realize that you know nothing....that's what the saints taught and they were communicating with angels, the Theotokos, other saints and even Christ. And when you're surrounded by such Grace, you feel like the lowest living being - that's what the saints taught.

Hope you feel better.

Joanna

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

I purchased this book at the Annunciation Monastery before I moved out here to Colorado. Although I found Geronda Ephraim's "Counsels From the Holy Mountain" a little easier to read, I am getting a lot out of it. I've found it is such a heavy book that for me, it's easier to read a chapter or two a day. I think that Papou (Elder Joseph) was such a Spiritual giant that someone as low and sinful as myself can easily be overloaded with his writings-especially on Hesychasm and the Theoria that sprouts from the Divine grace. Maybe you should try to pray before you read it if you aren't already. Best wishes and have a fruitful Lent.
In Christ,
Tessa

Господе Исусе Христа, Синe Божји, Помилуј ме грешну!