12 Angry Men

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Justin Kissel

12 Angry Men

Post by Justin Kissel »

Just rented 12 Angry Men (1957 version) last night. It's probably the 12th or 13th time I've seen this movie, but it was the first time my wife saw it. I think this movie gets better each time I watch it. The movie has almost no violence (as compared to the type of violence in today's movies), almost no bad language (again, especially in comparison with today's movies), no sex scenes or sexual language, none of that stuff. It's just a good, very intelligent, highly entertaining, movie. Anyone else feel that way about a movie?

David1

Post by David1 »

Indeed Justin,

There are a few movies I really like that fit those criterion. Namely:

The Third Man (1949) dir. Carol Reed
Paths of Glory (1957) dir. Stanley Kubrick
La Grande Illusion (1937) dir. Jean Renoir
La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928) dir. Carl Theodor Dreyer
Casablanca (1942) dir. Micheal Curtiz
Babette's Feast (1987) dir. Gabriel Axel
My Dinner with Andre (1981) dir. Louis Malle
The Straight Story (1999) dir. David Lynch

Modern films that have objectionable content, but an overall edifying message:

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) dir. Frank Darabondt (prison violence and strong language) "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

The Mission (1986) dir. Roland Joffe (battlefield violence, corrupt ecclesiastical hierarchy) Altamirano: "Tell them they must leave the missions. It is the will of God." Gabriel: "They say it was the will of God that they came out of the jungle and built the mission. They don't understand why God has changed his mind."

Braveheart (1995) dir. Mel Gibson (extreme battlefield violence, brief nudity when a newlywed husband and wife are making love, 2 or 3 uses of vulgarity) Argyle Wallis: Did the priest give a poetic benediction? "The Lord bless thee and keep thee..."
Young William: It was in Latin.
Argyle Wallis: You don't speak Latin? Eh, then that is something we shall have to remedy.