Most important works of theology of the last 25 years?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Most important works of theology of the last 25 years?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Patrik Hagman is running a theological books meme at http://shrinkinguni.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... -meme.html

He is asking everyone to ame three (or more) theological works from the last 25 years (1981-2006) that you consider important and worthy to be included on a list of the most important works of theology of that last 25 years (in no particular order).

I think that traditionalist Orthodox Christians should definitely chime in, in hopes that the people who are replying now, and who will see the published results of this meme will take the time and read traditionalist Orthodox books which perhaps can plant a seed in their hearts so one day they may find themselves converting to Orthodoxy.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

An important theological work by a traditional Orthodox Christian from the last 25 years? That's a tough one, since most traditionalists that I've read from that period were busy defending their ecclesiastical situation, not actually write something of important theological value. Orthodox Psychotherapy (1986) by Met. Hierotheos is about the only one I can think of (though he's traditional, not traditionalist). Perhaps you or Anastasios (or someone else) know of some books that I've missed out on though. Out of curiosity, which ones would you nominate?

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

Good point Justin, anything worthwhile would certainly just be a repackaging of something very old anyway.

Maybe if it was for a list of important theological works from the first 25 years.

Climacus

Post by Climacus »

Has anyone read David Bentley Hart's 'Beauty of the Infinite'?

-Climacus

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I think Ioannis made a good suggestion.

But, if we can extend it to the passed 35 years, then the works of Fr. Seraphim Rose come to mind.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)