Movie about an orthodox monk

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
jacqueline
Faith: RussianOrthodox

Movie about an orthodox monk

Post by jacqueline »

I know this is a long shot but....
Does anyone know the name of a movie that was recently released in Russia about an orthodox monk? I saw a brief clip while watching Russia today this morning but I missed the name.

Thank You in Advance :)
jacqueline

"Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and for ever." ( Heb.13:8 )

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

Dear Jacqueline:

I think that it is "Ostrov", a movie of Pavel Lungin. It is a excellent movie.

http://www.ostrov-film.ru/

Грешник
Sr Member

Post by Грешник »

I really want to see this movie and believe it or not Netflix does not have it for rent... but I heard that Blockbuster did... so I am gonna try there next.

Does anyone know of any other movies like this that they can suggest as well?

Incognito1583

Post by Incognito1583 »

What is the significance of this monk? Is it fiction or true?

jacqueline
Faith: RussianOrthodox

Post by jacqueline »

It is a fictional story... You can rent it on Netflix now.

Wikipedia:
"The film is focused on father Anatoly's repentance of his sin (therefore the virtually continuous occurrence of the Jesus Prayer); but the transgressions of the depicted character (a fool for Christ) and their impact on the others are the means by which the actual plot develops. Thus, talking on character's self-awareness, film's director Pavel Lungin said he doesn't regard him as being clever or spiritual, but blessed "in the sense that he is an exposed nerve, which connects to the pains of this world. His absolute power is a reaction to the pain of those people who come to it;" while "typically, when the miracle happens, the lay people asking for a miracle are always dissatisfied" because "the world does not tolerate domestic miracles."
Dmitry Sobolev, the scenarist, further explains: "When people ask for something from God, he is often wrong because God has a better understanding of what a person wants at that moment."[1] Pyotr Mamonov, who plays the lead character, formerly one of the few rock musicians in USSR, converted to Eastern Orthodoxy in the 1990s and lives now in an isolated village. Pavel Lungin said about him that "to a large extent, he played himself." Mamonov received a blessing from his confessor for playing the character.[1]
The simplicity, the humbleness, the remoteness, the miracles converge into creating a timeless snapshot of the Orthodox spirituality, apart from the historical circumstances. Patriarch Alexei II of Russia praised Ostrov for its profound depiction of faith and monastic life, calling it a "vivid example of an effort to take a Christian approach to culture."[2]"

"Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and for ever." ( Heb.13:8 )

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

"Exposed nerve" . That definitely defines the Orthodox blessed saints. May I dare offer another physical analogy...the saints are to the world, as root canal is to a person who neglects his teeth. You cannot avoid the truth of the matter. It is revealed and it will be a struggle to correct. But, you know that it has to be done.

I haven't seen it yet, but this movie is exceptional. I'm surprised that they(the media controllers) released it.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

The Orthodox Church does not sanction actors and dramatizations.

This "Ostrov" film is also a propaganda tool, not unlike most all dramatic films.

One must ask what useful purpose is served by watching it?