Mel Gibson & Icon productions' THE PASSION Movie Trailer

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

I was not really thinking of canons so much.

I looked at the trailer that was linked (thanks to Nicholas' suggestion I got it to work).

After viewing it, I thought the movie was very sensational - and I don't nesessarily mean that in a bad way.

But what are we looking at when we see a movie such as this? We are seeing streaming "icons"! The most powerful teaching tool the church has ever had is that of Holy Icons, which are EQUAL to Holy Scripture. Thus, when I was at the house of a Roman Catholic friend, I saw on his refrigerator a picture of Christ crucified, and on His chest, was the stream of white representing the water which came forth as we see in so many Orthodox icons, but with one exception, it was on His left side and not on the right. I thought to myself, "how do I know His side was pierced on the right and not the Left?" It is only from the icons I know this! To tell you the truth, I never even bothered to look at Holy Scripture to see if the icons I have seen were correct - THEY MUST BE.

1) As a powerful teaching mechanism, images can be dangerous. Images such as these may seem pleasant and as an innocent amusement. But this is not a cartoon about snoopy or a movie on how the Titantic sunk! This is about Jesus Christ! By watching such a movie, we are circumventing the Churches teaching authority and choosing to subject ourselves to something totally unknown, and not only unknown, but which we know is wrong before we even seen it. And the media that is used here is completly contrary to the practice of the church...

2) Imagery is a powerful tool whereby we convey our ideas to each other, and which in some respects has the advantage of all other ways of communication. Words construct by reason an image we are reading about; but every person forms the image to himself in his own way: language is very imperfect: there are innumerable voids in our imagination as we read the Holy Gospel, because there are innumerable voids in the unimportant details given by Holy Scripture. In this one sense, it can be immediatly seen how icons are equal and the same as Holy Scripture, because there are innumerable voids in the details of a Holy Icon. Iconographers do not add anything to the images given by Holy Scripture, the same voids are present in both Scripture and in the iconography!

But a movie is quite the opposite. A movie conveys ideas of these things clearly, and without ambiguity; and in order to do so, hundreds of thousands of details must be fabricated to fill in the voids and entire "scenes" might be added that are not in Scripture, so much so, that the entire message is rendered a lie. And what a movie says everyone understands and only in the sense a single person intended it and interprested it.

For instance, in Matthew 26:30 the Holy Gospel says: "And when they had sung a hymn, they went out into the Mount of Olives".

How wonderful! They sung a hymn! How will the movie show this? What hymn will it lie and say they sung?

3) Justin mentioned that he read "St. Nicodemo of the Holy Mountain - A handbook of Spiritual Counsel". Here this great Saint writes: "Gaurd your sense of vision well for it is more refined and knowledgable. ...And because sight is more beloved, the mind makes a deeper impression with its image upon the compass of the imagination. And because they are deeper they are also more difficult to wipe out....We can see this confirmed through our own experience, namely, that the other images that we have come to receive by the other senses, we can wipe out much more easily. But those images which we have impressed upon our imagination through our eyes, and curious eyes at that, we either cannot wipe them out at all or we can only after much time and great effort. Whether we are asleep or awake, they do not omit to attack us. In most cases they do not ceases to bother us. In short, we grow old with them and we die with them" (page 89)

When you consider with your imagination right now, the mistranslations, interprestation, and all manner of untold untruths in the movie, the above speaks for itself.

4) As with many of the errors of the Latins, they add one error which is commonly overlooked. They place to great an emphasis on the death and crucifixion of the Lord, and to little on the Ressurrection. This is why you will RARLEY see Orthodox crucifixes, but in a Latin Church you will almost always see them, as with their "stations of the Cross". So how powerful will the image of His Death and Crucifixion in a motion picture be on you? Will it forever have you thinking less of the Resurrection?

5) Anyone who has ever studied Holy Scripture knows that each sentence must be read over and over and studied. Each word is significant and perfect. There is nothing out of place or incorrect! A movie such as this devalues that personal experience which is experienced in a person heart with the Holy Spirit and places an excitable memory of emotion in its place.

What "Christian" rock is for the ears, this is for the eyes.

I can go on but I am short on time.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

OOD,

I think you've made some very insightful points. Perhaps for Orthodox Christians this movie won't be of much use, and may confuse the fine points of our theology....but maybe, out there somewhere in the spiritual desert of contemporary life, this powerful film portraying the sufferings of Christ will soften one person's heart. Even just seeing this short trailer it's hard not to be moved towards compassion. I think people devoid of spiritual interests might really benefit from this film. For me it seems comparable to Western Christian paintings where the theology of the work is slightly flawed in comparison to a true icon and theological and historical gaps are filled in by the artist, but the art still has the possibility of lifting the heart and mind to Christ. Flawed somewhat, but moving in the right direction.

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

You know something, I thought about it some more and I've come to the conclusion that nobody should see this movie, as tempting as it is.

Call me a fanatic and think whatever you like. I can think of a dozen good reasons why.

I would have to agree too.

We should be getting our images of the Godman from the Church, Scripture, prayers, icons, writings of the Fathers ,ect, not Holywood. I think Mel Gibson is a wonderful person and so brave for doing this movie. I just think that the images, as moving as they are, are a distortion of the reality and therefore are not something we should take in. I say this because I still can't get rid of all those images from my childhood from movies like ''Jesus of Nazareth'' and ''the Ten Commandment'' and so on. Not that they are evil, just that they leave an imprint that is not true, but a distraction from the actuall reality.
Sometimes still if I think of a bible passage, an image from a film comes into my head rather than the image I should be getting from the actual scripture passage.
Its just when I pray to Christ, I don't want to have James Cavi??? in my mind. How can one avoid it?

In Christ,

Nicholas

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Peter's and Nicholas' (Savva) are a nice conclusion for my post.

I have more thoughts on this but I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Some very interesting thoughts! And I might add that I am very happy that they are thoughtful thoughts, and not just canned arguments (e.g., "Catholics are bad, don't go"). I'm not sure what to think yet, but the arguments articulated here certainly spur one on to do more thinking on the subject!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I got to thinking about other movies and their dramatic impact. My wife had never seen Schindlers List, so we rented it last night. What would you all think of this type of movie, as opposed to the Mel Gibson movie? What if we were to see the people in Schindlers List and use it to help understand the suffering people under Lenin and Stalin (and after) went through? And apart from this, as a seperate question, what about movies such as Doctor Zhivago? What are we to think of them, shall we watch them?

Arsenios
Jr Member

Post by Arsenios »

Schindlers list was a powerful movie and I think it could make you think a lot but it did have a lot of nudity in it that was not really needed. I agree though that you could think of the suffereing that was in the movie and think about how the Russians went through that sort of suffering too and how hard it was on them.