Elder Paisios

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
ICONOPHILI

Elder Paisios

Post by ICONOPHILI »

Has anyone seen a book on Eler Paissios it has his picture on it with the back ground of MountAthos and the Letters that spell Elder Paissios are in Orange, I read it a while ago but I forgot what it's titled?????????? :)

yanni

Elder Paisios

Post by yanni »

How about 'Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain' by Priestmonk Christodoulos?
The frontcover has a western view of the holy mountain at sunrise with the elder portrayed on the upper right corner. The back of the book has a picture of his hermitage on Mt Athos.

ICONOPHILI

Post by ICONOPHILI »

O.K. are the words written in Orange?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Positive Thinking and Elder Paisios

Post by Maria »

ICONOPHILI wrote:

O.K. are the words written in Orange?

Yes, they are. The cover is largely black with a yellow-orange reflection of the rising sun and red sky in the sea.
Interestingly, there is the old saying paraphrased from the Holy Bible:
Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.

This post is a warning to those who want to read this book.

The full title:

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain
Author: Priestmonk Christodoulos Ageloglou
Holy Mountain

Not only is this book very disjointed with lots of small vignettes, but the book is filled with Elder Paisios' dissipatory comments regarding smoking and drinking. Without mentioning Norman Vincent Peale's, Elder Paisios promotes Peale's views on Positive Thinking.

Isn't Positive Thinking a heresy since this philosophical way of thinking does not believe in warning others about heresy as they try to see good everywhere it can be found, even in Buddhism or Islam? For example, even though Elder Paisios was guided away from the Old Calendarists by his ecumenist confessors/elders/advisors, he does not outright attack the True Orthodox, instead he venerates the EP and thus upholds his ecumenism. Is it not surprising that many of those in World Orthodoxy praise this book since Elder Paisios ultimately left Esfigmenou Monastery and avoided the True Orthodox?

I finally quit reading it midway through the book as I did not find it edifying.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.