Previous books of the month

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Oops, I need to fix that! I grabbed the wrong info! But I have to run so it will be later tonight!

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Juvenaly wrote:

Ok, I cant help myself, I think it is humorous that the same exact book that is the book of the month this month for children is the EXACT SAME as the book from EXACTLY a year ago!

Way to be persistent!

Fixed! (I hope! :oops: )

尼古拉前执事
Archon

NEW BOOKS OF THE MONTH AFTER 6 MONTHS OF WAITING!!!!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

This month's selected book for adults is the latest masterpiece from the Center for Traditionalist orthodox Studies, Made Perfect in Faith: Sermons on the Lives and Works of Fifty Holy Church Fathers by The Reverend Father James Thornton.

In the Orthodox Church, we often speak of ‘the Holy Church Fathers.’ We quote their words in sermons, commentaries, essays, and books. We regard them as the preëminent interpreters of Holy Scripture. We study their lives. We celebrate their memories on their Feast Days throughout the year. We pray for their intercession before God. Their teachings and example, set upon the foundation of the Holy Gospels, form the structure of the Orthodox way of life and the Orthodox worldview. This book of sermons introduces fifty of the Holy Fathers of the Church to the reader, demonstrating that they are the very embediment of Orthodox Christianity as the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

For children, this month's selection is a set of 12 books, one for each major feast, A Children's Gift Set: The Twelve Great Feasts Series by by Sister Elayne and Bonnie Gillis.

In this series, they use simple verse and colorful illustrations to acquaint children with the themes and imagery of each of these great feasts. The set includes: TheNativity of the Theotokos, The Elevation of the Holy Cross, The Presentation of the Theotokos, The Baptism of Christ, The Presentation of Christ, The Annunciation, The Nativity of Christ, The Entry in to Jerusalem/Palm Sunday, The Ascension, Pentecost, The Transfiguration of Our Lord, and The Dormition of the Theotokos.

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Fri 15 December 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
尼古拉前执事
Archon

"Made Perfect in Faith"

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

As a personal note, "Made Perfect in Faith" has deeply touched me and really made me further understand the connected mind of the Church through the centuries through teachings of the Church Fathers of every land. I cannot recommend this book enough! Father James has once again written a masterpiesce that belongs on every Orthodox Christian's book shelf. I cannot wait until his next book, as his series of books never ceases to amaze me.