What is your favorite Orthodox book?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.

What are your favorite Orthodox books?

A Commentary on the Divine Liturgy by St. Nicholas Cabasilas

No votes

Journey to Heaven by St Tikhon of Zadonsk trans. by Fr George Lardas

15%

The Diary of a Russian Priest by Alexander Elchaninov

No votes

Jesus Through the Centuries by Jaroslav Pelikan

No votes

The Apocalypse In the Teachings of Ancient Christianity by Archbishop Averky Taushev and Fr. Seraphim Rose

5%

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose

30%

Courage to Pray by Metropalitan Anthony Bloom and Georges LeFebvre

No votes

The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way

15%

The Ascetic of Love by Nun Gavrilia trans. by Helen Anthony

No votes

Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ St Justin Popovich

5%

Way of the Ascetics by Tito Colliander

5%

The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St John of the Ladder

25%

Total votes: 20

Mary Kissel

What is your favorite Orthodox book?

Post by Mary Kissel »

If there's a favorite Orthodox book that you like that you don't see listed please post and tell us what that is :) Also, if you could, please post and say why you chose the book that you did. What you liked about the book etc.

Thankyou :)

MaryCecilia

Last edited by Mary Kissel on Sun 9 March 2003 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I actually have more than one favorite book that I've listed here :)
Mine would be:
-Commentary on the Divine Liturgy
-Journey to Heaven
-Way of a Pilgrim
-The Ascetic of Love

I havnt read Jesus through the Centuries, or Diary of a Russian Priest yet but I plan on reading them soon. Courage to Pray was kind of confusing to me... it seemed alil deep...but maybe others enjoyed this book more? I hope to have replies to my poll/post. Thanks again :)

MaryCecilia

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I love to read the ladder of divine ascent by saint john of the ladder. and also the newer book the way of the ascetics. these are both great works to read often I think.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Okay, now I know that this is near-heresy to say around Orthodox Christians, but I actually found Way of a Pilgrim a bit dry the last read through (a month or two ago). When I first read it a couple years ago I thought it was great, but this last time... :oops: :?

Anyway, favorite Orthodox books. Mine would be:

• Justin Popovich, Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ (Touches all the bases, with lots of weighty reading on ecclesiology and epistemology in particular)
  • Holy Apostles Convent, The Lives of the Pillars of Orthodoxy (Great information about defenders and defenses of Orthodoxy)
  • Bouteneff, Father Arseny 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father (This book, and especially the first half, is truly awe-inspiring)

As far as the poll, I've only read three of the books, and none were really "favorites" of mine, so I'm not sure how to vote. I thought the first part of Courage to Pray (the part by Metropalitan Anthony Bloom) was helpful, and explained the "silence of God" well. It wasn't really a favorite, though. Could you add Justin Popovich to the list? :)

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Tie!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I have not read all of the books in the list, but of them I have 2 definite favorites. I am glad to see the (at the time I write this) tied for the favorite book) Journey to Heaven and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future are very different books, but excellent indeed. Both probably should be read by converts in their catechumenate.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I think I agree with you Nick that Journey to Heaven and Orthodoxy And the Religion of the Future are good books for Catechumens to read. Journey to Heaven is good in the sense that it gives us examples on how we're supposed to conduct ourselves as Orthodox Christians and gives us many meditations to read regarding various Orthodox beliefs. Religion of the Future definetly has a lot of good information in it about the Heterodox religions and it is in my opinion honest about what the pagan religions will cause (such as Yoga and Hinduism to name a couple). I hope more people will reply to this thread and say what books they like. You can even post and say why you don't like the books that I've listed if you desire to do so.

:)

MaryCecilia

Denis

Post by Denis »

Just finished "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future" and agree with the previous comments:this book is a must read. I have just ordered "Nihilism by the same author, and "Elder Zosima, Hysechast of Siberia". I should receive these in a few days.