Great Lent Reading and Prayer Life

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Great Lent Reading and Prayer Life

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Hey, if any of you have good Lenten recipes, please add them to the thread down below. Lent is a jard time to come up with new ideas and some of us may not have heard of what you cook during Great Lent!

Anyway, on the topic, in my home, we get rid of our TV during Lent so that it easier to read edifying books and to concentrate on our prayer life. I also try not to spend money on anything other than car costs, food, and the regular bills.

During Great Lent I like to read good books and the Gospels. If you are like me, I just would like to recommend checking out the portal and try out some of the books in the book club, as I am sure you will find them good Lenten reading. There are children's books for those of you with children, grandchildren and/or Godchildren.

I hope it is of service to you and if you have any reccomendations for Lenten reading, feel free to post them here.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I would suggest for Lenten reading the Bible, and read the Lives of the Saints (even that 6 volume set that you said that you got Nick :) ) and Journey to Heaven is definately a good book to read during Lent, as well as Way of the Pilgrim. I can't think of any other books right now. I hope others will have suggestions has well! :)

MaryCecilia

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

For Lent in particular, I'm reading:

Alexander Schmemann, Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
Synaxarion of the Lenten Triodion

I may read The Screwtape Letters again for Lent... but then I already have over half a dozen other books started, so maybe I better finish some of those first :oops:

Mary and I are going to try some other (ascetical) things during the Lenten season, hopefully things will work out.

Lounger

Post by Lounger »

I shall be of reading many on the portal list.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

A Soul After Death by Blessed Father Serpahim Rose

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

As discussed in another thread here, Father Seraphim Rose's book, The Soul After Death is good Lenten reading as well.

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I always have enjoyed reading the ladder of divine ascent during the fast. it helps me to concentrate upon how to live a better life and on the monastic tradition. it is one of my all time favorites the origianal by saint john.