Image and Likeness: Book Suggestions?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Justin Kissel

Image and Likeness: Book Suggestions?

Post by Justin Kissel »

I'm doing a text on Man being in the image and after the likeness of God, and was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations as to books that I could read or use for my research? The problem isn't finding enough data (in fact, I've already got nearly enough to make a text the size of a real book) The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to make sure I don't get anything wrong, and take into consideration as many different sources--both modern and ancient--as possible. There are also some key difficulties, places where Orthodox Christians seem to disagree, about which I'd like to hear more voices speaking. [1] I've got more patristic references than I know what to do with, what I'm really looking for is contemporary texts. Right now I'm mostly working with "Deification in Christ" by Panayiotis Nellas, "The Deification of Man" by Georgios I. Mantzaridis, and Georges Florovsky's "Creation and Redemption, Vol. 3 of the Collected Works" (though I've consulted briefly a dozen or so other contemporary books). If anyone knows of any other good Orthodox anthropological texts, don't be afraid to name them!

Justin

PS. Oops! I almost forgot to mention another book I'm already aware of. I ordered Vladimir Lossky's "Image and Likeness" from Amazon.com already, so there's no need to mention that one :)

[1] E.g., some Orthodox, such as Gregory Palamas, John of Damascus, and Fr. Michael Pomazansky believe that only the non-material aspect of mankind is "made in the image and after the likeness," while other Orthodox, such as Ephraim the Syrian, Tertullian, and Panayiotis Nellas seem to say that the entire man (including the body) can be considered to have been originally made in the image and after the likeness of Christ (ie. God).

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Since we have a number of new people participating on the board now, and since some older posters have begun reposting, I thought I'd post on the thread and bring it to the top again, in case anyone has any book suggestions.

I've since added to the list of books I'm reading and using:

• Lars Thunberg, Microcosm and Mediator: The Theological Anthropology of Maximus the Confessor (2nd Edition--1995)
  • The texts of Metr. Hierotheos S. Vlachos which can be found online

I'm just finishing up The Soul After Death by Fr. Seraphim Rose, but I didn't really see much that was relevant to what I'm writing. That was a bit of a let down, but then I had been intending to read the book for quite some time (since I read the Azkoul/Lazar misrepresentations), so it's all good I 'spose. :) /\

Justin

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Have you tried The First-Created Man: Seven Homilies by St. Symeon the New Theologian or Genesis, Creation and Early Man?

If you want to start another thread on what you thought of A Soul After Death, I would be interested in reading your thoughts.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Thanks for the suggestion Nicholas! In a few months, when I have some money, lol, I'll definately get it :)

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I'm sorry I do not have any good book suggestions, but I am interested in hearing of some as well. good luck and if I find any good ones I'll send them your way. :D

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I finally got Image and Likeness by Lossky yesterday! :D I also located multiple copies of John T. Noonan's often-referenced work on contraception in Pittsburgh libraries. This is turning out to be a great literary month for me! :)

(this post is just sort of a bump, in case anyone else has book suggestions ;) )

Steve
Jr Member

I'm reading ...

Post by Steve »

"The Meaning of Icons" by Ouspensky and Lossky and within the first 50 pages is a great summary of icons and the image and likeness.