Fr Panagiotis Carras (GOC-K) on the Council of Crete

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Fr Panagiotis Carras (GOC-K) on the Council of Crete

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

Recorded at the GOC-K Clergy Synaxis of 2017: https://youtu.be/4MFkaXpDQoE

(So-called "council", of course. Crete was not a council at all.)

Edit: I have one minor complaint. Around the 23:30 mark he says that if you visit any of the New Calendar churches you won't see one candle, vigil light. This is an odd comment because I have never been to an Orthodox parish without some. In my own parish we light hundreds of candles every Sunday.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Fr Panagiotis Carras (GOC-K) on the Council of Crete

Post by Maria »

I think Fr. Panagiotis is referring to the one red vigil lamp that is supposed to be kept burning at the entrance to the Holy Altar. I have seen this red vigil lamp indicating that our Lord is present in the Holy Eucharist in OCA parishes, but I wonder if it is present in the Greek and Antiochian Orthodox Churches.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

NotChrysostomYet

Maria wrote:

I think Fr. Panagiotis is referring to the one red vigil lamp that is supposed to be kept burning at the entrance to the Holy Altar. I have seen this red vigil lamp indicating that our Lord is present in the Holy Eucharist in OCA parishes, but I wonder if it is present in the Greek and Antiochian Orthodox Churches.

At the Altar or at the table of Oblation?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Maria wrote:

In the last OCA parish that I attended, there was a red vigil lamp attached to a long chain that could be pulled down, the candle replaced, and then pulled up again. This red vigil lamp was located about two feet above the priest's head at the Entrance to the Great Doors, so that when the priest stood at the Solea on the Altar area, the lamp was directly above him.

NotChrysostomYet

Maria wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:
Maria wrote:

In the last OCA parish that I attended, there was a red vigil lamp attached to a long chain that could be pulled down, the candle replaced, and then pulled up again. This red vigil lamp was located about two feet above the priest's head at the Entrance to the Great Doors, so that when the priest stood at the Solea on the Altar area, the lamp was directly above him.

Oh, that one. Yes, we have that - sort of. Unfortunately it's electric. But at least we have it.

We have a real vigil lamp that it placed over the table of oblation, where the gifts are kept.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Is the lamp electric because of the insurance requirements which specify no candles?

The OCA parish I attended was allowed to have that one candle, but immediately after the services, they had to extinguish all candles, only leaving that one red vigil lamp unattended.

NotChrysostomYet

Maria wrote:

Is the lamp electric because of the insurance requirements which specify no candles?

The OCA parish I attended was allowed to have that one candle, but immediately after the services, they had to extinguish all candles, only leaving that one red vigil lamp unattended.

I can't say for certain, but that would be my guess.

We extinguish all the candles after service as well.