The Archbishop by Hieromonk Tihon

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

The Archbishop by Hieromonk Tihon

Post by Maria »

Not too long ago, I purchased a copy of The Archbishop by Hieromonk Tihon, which was originally published in Russian in 1911. It was condemned by the Soviets along with a lot of other very good Orthodox Christian books.

In February 2017, this book was published by Karpatika in a translation from the Romanian. Since books lose something in translation, I would have liked to have read a direct translation from the Russian into English, but alas, such a book is not available yet.

Nevertheless, in spite of some English mistakes, and the reader will have to overlook them, this is an excellent book, not only for the laity, but especially for clergy who might struggle with drugs, alcohol, depression, and doubts in their faith. Apparently, this book was written primarily for priests to help them in their struggles so that they might persevere in their priestly ministry. However, it is important for the laity to understand these struggles, to support their priests in their ministry, and not tempt them with expensive gifts of alcohol, bad language, or poor jokes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

fschmidt
Faith: Old Testament

Re: The Archbishop by Hieromonk Tihon

Post by fschmidt »

This?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

fschmidt wrote:

This?

Yes.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Karpatika must refer to the Carpathian Mountains, which extend into Romania, I think ?

That is a refreshing angle, Maria. No one thinks of the clergy as having any problems at all ! One assumes they are always in good shape in every way. Perhaps the book is an eye-opener.

Why was it only picked up by Romanians to begin with ? That seems unusual. One would expect the Greeks to have seized upon it first.

I wonder whether it will be translated directly into English ? Do you think it's worth waiting for a more precise translation of The Archbishop ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Karpatika must refer to the Carpathian Mountains, which extend into Romania, I think ?

That is a refreshing angle, Maria. No one thinks of the clergy as having any problems at all ! One assumes they are always in good shape in every way. Perhaps the book is an eye-opener.

Why was it only picked up by Romanians to begin with ? That seems unusual. One would expect the Greeks to have seized upon it first.

I wonder whether it will be translated directly into English ? Do you think it's worth waiting for a more precise translation of The Archbishop ?

While there are a few translational errors and awkward passages, on the whole, the book is excellent reading.