On Ecumenism, Fr. Stephen Fraser

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

On Ecumenism, Fr. Stephen Fraser

Post by Maria »

In this thread, I would like to discuss Fr. Stephen Fraser's treatment of "Ecumenism" in Appendix D of his book,
Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece (GOC): A Brief History and Commentary

Father rightfully calls ecumenism the heresy of all heresies. It could even be called the Mother of All Heresies.

• A heresy, any heresy, excludes one from the Church. Ecumenism, called the heresy of all heresies, is the umbrella under which all the heresies are being promoted. The justification, or legitimacy, of calling ecumenism the heresy of heresies must come from its title. Without such a descriptive title, one may be led to believe that ecumenism is only one heresy among a plethora of heresies, and no worse than any one of them. Calling ecumenism a heresy is one thing, to recognize it as the greatest of all heresies is another.

It is the heresy of heresies because it blatantly disregards heresy in order to promote the heresies that:
    1) all religions are the same;
    2) there is only one God, therefore all,regardless of belief, pray to Him;
    3) there is no absolute truth, heresy and Orthodoxy can be tolerated within the Orthodox Church;
    4) being in communion with a diseased, heretical Church does not impart the same infection to all those in communion with her;
    5) it is preferable to be part of an ecumenist Church out of brotherly love, than it is to offend by separating from her,
    6) by remaining in a world orthodox Church, one can impart a nobility, an understanding, and a level of brotherhood that would not be possible if one did not remain.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Re: On Ecumenism, Fr. Stephen Fraser

Post by Matthew »

Well, it certainly seems excellent and correct to me.

Archimandrit Nilos

Re: On Ecumenism, Fr. Stephen Fraser

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

This is not a new knowledge.