ORTHODOXY and the Religion of the Future: Fr. Seraphim Rose

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

ORTHODOXY and the Religion of the Future: Fr. Seraphim Rose

Post by Maria »

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future
Author: Hieromonk Seraphim Rose (reposed in 1982)
St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
Sixth Printing (Revised edition): January, 1990
Platina, California 1990

I have obtained the 6th Printing (Jan. 1990) as I noticed that the later editions have been heavily edited now that Platina is under the Serbian Orthodox, who are in communion with the Ecumenistic MP and the EP.

Therefore, if you happen to have a later printing, there will be a discrepancy in the pagination and noticeable omissions, especially regarding the True Orthodox and Old Calendarists.

Throughout the book, there are warnings that the new spirit of Ecumenism is the demonic spirit of the AntiChrist.

Fr. Seraphim states on page 227:

• The characteristic belief of the heresy of ecmenism is this: that the Orthodox Church is not the one true Church of Christ; that the grace of God is present also in other "Christian" denominations, and even in non-Christian religions; that the narrow path of salvation according to the teaching of the Holy Fathers of the Orthodox Church is only "one path among many" to salvation; and that the details of one's belief in Christ are of little importance, as is one's membership in any particular church.

In his last sentence on page 235 from the Epilogue on Jonestown, Fr. Seraphim warns:

• Those who wish to be true Christians in these frightful days had better begin to become serious about their Faith, learning what true Christianity is, learning to pray to God in spirit and in truth, learning to know Who Christ is, in Whom alone we have salvation.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Re: ORTHODOXY and the Religion of the Future: Fr. Seraphim R

Post by Cyprian »

Maria, are you saying that the two excerpts that you posted from pgs. 227 and 235 have been removed in the 1990 revised edition? Are there other examples, or just these two?

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Cyprian asks a good question. I'll just add that Platina may be under the Serbian Patriarchate, but the (True) Serbian Orthodox are something else. :)

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Cyprian wrote:

Maria, are you saying that the two excerpts that you posted from pgs. 227 and 235 have been removed in the 1990 revised edition? Are there other examples, or just these two?

Yes, there has been extensive editing since 1990. In addition, there is a new epilogue at the back since the original was produced.
Philaret The-Zealot, a member here, might be able to answer that question as apparently he has compared the most recent edition with the earlier.

I loaned my copy of the most recent edition to a Roman Catholic friend. It very much upset her to read about the intrusion of Buddhist prayer into Roman Catholicism. Yet, Thomas Merton, who is mentioned in Fr. Seraphim's book listed above, was very much into Buddhist prayer. It was one of his last retreats given to monastics that led me away from Roman Catholicism and started me on the journey to Holy Orthodoxy.

jgress

Post by jgress »

Sorry I see now you meant that any edition later than 1990 shouldn't be trusted.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

Sorry I see now you meant that any edition later than 1990 shouldn't be trusted.

If you do not mind reading a book with some parts missing, especially those that talk about the True Orthodox, the later editions can still be bought and read.

jgress

Post by jgress »

"Russian Golgotha" by Ivan Andreyev, which contains lives of Catacomb Saints, is also hard to find now, since Platina won't reprint it. Many of these saints witness against the Sergianists.