The Giver with Brenton Thwaites, Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: The Giver with Brenton Thwaites, Jeff Bridges, Meryl Str

Post by Barbara »

By chance, after writing this, I saw a reference to actor John Wayne's teaching a newly born granddaughter The Lord's Prayer. I looked up his religion, as I didn't associate him with being devout. Born a Presbyterian, he joined
at a surprisingly early age a Freemason group for youth. Then, according to wikipedia's entry for his name :

"Wayne's height has been perennially described as at least 6 ft 4 in (193 cm).[57] He was a Freemason, a Master Mason in Marion McDaniel Lodge No. 56 F&AM, in Tucson, Arizona. He became a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason and later joined the Al Malaikah Shrine Temple in Los Angeles. He became a member of the York Rite."

So there one has it ! A supposedly wholesome role model as a cowboy in Western films, he was a very high level Mason.

Also, such a heavy drinker that he had to be filmed before noon, wrote one producer who worked with him, or he would be mean [and presumably unmanageable or out of control].

It's sad to hear this because he was one of the few actors in ultra-liberal - if not radical - Hollywood who was outspoken as an anti-Communist.
According to the same entry, Stalin considered him such a threat that the Soviet dictator considered having the famous Western actor assassinated. John Wayne remained a conservative all his life.