St. Xenia of Kalamata, the forgotten saint

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Matthew
Protoposter

Re: St. Xenia of Kalamata, the forgotten saint

Post by Matthew »

Perhaps you could buy some photographer studio lights which surely must be designed to have one constant pure light for photo shoots.

frphoti
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOC Kallinikos

Post by frphoti »

It's funny. When I used to fly down to Bakersfield from Oregon I would sit and peruse the SouthWest inflight advert magazine. In it they had this "box" that is made of white cloth and it's like a portable studio lighting system. I thought of buying it because one of the problems with taking pictures of icons is the glare. Varnish causes a lot of glare, so I have found that taking the icon outside in the daytime to a shaded area works best. In the shade you can find the right angle without so much glare. That works for bigger icons (11"x14" and above) but for little icons this travel box would probably work great. It's all about expenses though. Often when I sell an icon or get a commission, the money is spent immediately. Six children and two adults eat a lot of food, and use a lot of lights, water, gas and clothing, etc.

Truly, if the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father is perfect, then that from the Son is superfluous.
St. Photios the Great

frphoti
Jr Member
Jurisdiction: GOC Kallinikos

Post by frphoti »

Truly, if the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Father is perfect, then that from the Son is superfluous.
St. Photios the Great

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

frphoti wrote:

It's funny. When I used to fly down to Bakersfield from Oregon I would sit and peruse the SouthWest inflight advert magazine. In it they had this "box" that is made of white cloth and it's like a portable studio lighting system. I thought of buying it because one of the problems with taking pictures of icons is the glare. Varnish causes a lot of glare, so I have found that taking the icon outside in the daytime to a shaded area works best. In the shade you can find the right angle without so much glare. That works for bigger icons (11"x14" and above) but for little icons this travel box would probably work great. It's all about expenses though. Often when I sell an icon or get a commission, the money is spent immediately. Six children and two adults eat a lot of food, and use a lot of lights, water, gas and clothing, etc.

That is great that you found a natural way to solve the problem.
I did not know you had such a large family, father! Wow, the Lord has greatly blessed you!

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

frphoti wrote:

Something like this:
http://www.adorama.com/VRPSIAB.html

I checked it out. It is a nice little set up! I reminds me of the way the photograph things in the I SPY books. They are great books by the way. My favourite is I Spy treasure hunt, spooky night, and fantasy.

xenondrum
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by xenondrum »

Here is another image of St. Xenia of Kalamata

https://www.seen.is/public/user/5a/9f/0 ... jpg?c=3026