Optina elders

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Optina elders

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I would like to learn more about the elders of optina hermitage and thier lives and teachings. I have read plenty but would like to hear what you have heard or learned or see links to sites, and just generally discuss thier lives and teachings

Logos

Post by Logos »

I have some various prayers written to and by the Optina elders. Here they are if you are interested.

Prayer of the Optina Elders

O Lord, grant unto me that with Thy peace I may greet all that this day is to bring. Grant unto me grace to surrender myself completely to Thy holy will. In every hour of this day instruct and guide me in all things. Whatever tidings I may receive during this day, do Thou teach me to accept tranquilly in the firm belief that Thy holy will governs all. Govern Thou my thoughts and feelings in all I do and say. When unforseen things occur, let me not forget that all is sent by Thee. Teach me to behave sincerely and reasonably toward everyone, that I may bring confusion and sorrow to no one. Bestow on me, O Lord, strength to endure the fatigue of the day and to bear my part in its events. Guide Thou my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to suffer, to forgive, and to love. Amen.

Prayer to the Optina Elders

O divine community of holy fathers, ye God-bearing elders of Optina, in the angelic life ye have shone forth upon the earth and are glorified in the heavenly city! We know that in the days of your earthly service no one departed from you empty and disconsolate, for ye were all things to all men: healers to the ailing, strength to the doubting, comforters to the sorrowful; for the grace of abundant healing, clairvoyance, the curing of infirm souls, was shown to be in you. But also now for all of us ye are mediators, and for our suffering homeland ye are unceasing intercessors, for it is given to you to pray for us ever before the throne of God. Look down, then, from the celestial glory and see your flock, which ye fed on the pasturage of the teachings of Christ, for it is troubled and laid low and plundered by soul-corrupting wolves; in your kindness visit us who are weak and helpless, seek those who have gone astray, gather the dispersed, convert the deceived, and unite them to the Holy Catholic and Apostolic church; teach the youth, support the aged, keep those in wedlock in peace and concord, defend those in the monastic life from all the snares of the enemy. Hearken unto us, O divine physicians of souls, and guide us on the path of repentance, that, following after your words, we may offer ourselves and all our life into the hands of the great compassion of God, that His wil may direct our thoughts and feelings in all our deeds and words. Stretch forth unto us a helping hand, O all-blessed fathers, and teach us to pray, to believe, to hope, to be patient, to forgive, and to love; that, walking thus in the Lord's commandments, we may be vouchsafed, through your intercession, eternal joy in the kingdom of heaven, where together with you we may glorify God, Who is wondrous in His saints, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, unto the ages. Amen

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Optina Elders Info Galore!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Christ is Risen!

I know very little of them, but would love to learn more, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Logos

Post by Logos »

By the Saint Herman of Alaska Brotherhood has a series of books on the various Optina elders. It is called the elders of Optina series.