Favorite Saints

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mary Kissel

Favorite Saints

Post by Mary Kissel »

I was wondering, who would be your favorite Saint(s) and why? Also, for those who've converted as an adult, why did you choose the Saint that you have as your patron Saint?

I chose Saint Mary of Egypt as my patron Saint because I became attracted to her life story, I feel very close to her and I figured, she could be a Saint that I can 'look up to'. She's also my favorite Saint for the same reason.

MaryCecilia

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

MaryCecilia K

I was wondering, who would be your favorite Saint(s) and why?

My favorite non-modern saint would be Gregory the Theologian. While I have little in common with Saint Gregory regarding piety and intellectual ability, I've found his "tendencies" and "mannerisms" to be very common to my own (at least that's my perception from the biographies of him I've read, and the works of his that give some insight into his personality and life). I also very much appreciate and love his insightful, poetic style, which can relate ordinarily dry subjects with a bit more wit and energy than most writers. I also find his theological teachings to be a good base to work from, and enjoy watching how he deals with people from other theological (and even heretical) perspectives.

Also, for those who've converted as an adult, why did you choose the Saint that you have as your patron Saint?

My "favorite" modern saint would be Justin Popovich, and he also happens to be my patron saint. I didn't choose him, he really chose me. I can't explain how any more than I can explain how God can sometimes tell you something in a "whisper on the wind". You just realise, somewhere along the way, that a message has been planted in your being (I dare not say brain). Now, if only more of his works were translated into English... or if only I could move to an area where a college taught Serbian... :)

Justin

Denis

Post by Denis »

My favorite saint is St. Elizabeth. Reading her biography touched me deeply and since then, I have asked her to pray for me. I also like very much St. Sophia, St John of san Francisco, and St. john of Kronstadt.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

My favorite saint is Saint Nektarios! He really found me when I went to our local monastery (St. Anthony's - one of Elder Ephraim's) and the Katholicon is dedicated to him. I decided research him and found his life to be so amazing. He never sought his own glory in anything but choose to suffer like our Lord when the choice of the cross was given to him. He fought the spiritual war and was victorious. This is what I love when I read all the saints lives...their struggles against the common enemy of men and how they prevail through the cross and ressurection of our Lord.

My other favorite saints are Saints Athanasios and Maximos the Confessor...both gave an entire life of suffering to defend true Christology, such awesome men they were!