The OCA

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Chrysostomos

The OCA

Post by Chrysostomos »

BOGATYR writes: What do you expect from the OCA, with their "female readers" in Washington, DC and their new calendar, their ecumenism, their renovationism, their endorsement of sergianism, their false "autocephaly"?! Then really question yourself, how a loyal DEMOCRAT can be an Orthodox Bishop, a party which believes in ABORTION ON DEMAND, MILITANT SECULARISM--they believe things like Nativity Scenes are hate speach. They endorse homosexual civil unions, etc. How serious can that be taken or any of the people that follow that nonsense?! Having personally seen the OCA Diocese of the West, well, I can say it is nothing more than ROCOR-"light" which attracts converts like this fellow "who are not ready for ROCOR". Hence, the motive, one of the great sins...envy. I wonder if Bishop Tikhon has done ANYTHING about the OPEN AND ACTIVE HOMOSEXUALS communing at his San Francisco Cathedral?! As a democrat, I doubt he can.
ORTHODOXIA I THANATOS!
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovsky

Wow, here I was attending a ROCOR Monastery with my family and we now attend an OCA parish. Have we changed our views in anyway since leaving the Monastery to attend an Orthodox Church that is only 10 minutes away from home - No. Oh, that is, except I now go to a New Calendar Church, instead of an Old Calendar Church. Because of this one issue, the calendar, my family and I are now outcasts, as far I can surmize, based on the verbage that is displayed on this board. I guess
it is unfortunate that my family and I do not attend an OCA Church in Alaska, they are still Old Calendar. Perhaps my family and I would qualify to stay within your and others acceptable standards of what an Orthodox Christian is. Fortunately, that is not the standard by which my family and I go by. My OCA Parish, in the time my family and I have attended, have not had these discussions about the new calendar, ecumenism, renovationism, our endorsement of sergianism, whether we are democrats, republicans, libertarians or greens. Our supposed "false" autocephaly is not on the forefront of our discussions. My conversations usually are in regards to their health, their family, their struggles, their crosses, their lives. I discuss with some, writings that I have read from the Early Church Fathers, or the lives of Saints, that I will pray for them, and do pray for them. I try to encourage them, greet new people. I don't have time, nor desire to discuss many of the issues that seem to be most pressing on you and others on this board. Am I aware of the issues - yes, but I do not fret, rather pray. As to our Bishop Tikhon, the small conversations that I have had with him personally, or heard him speak, have never address issues of being democratic or republican, or many of the concerns you listed. Rather, about how we, as Orthodox Christians are called to live on a daily basis. Our Orthodox ethos. I look at all of us on this board, who are Orthodox Christians, regardless of their jurisdiction, as brothers and sisters in Christ. If I am a simpleton or Fool for Christ, so be it.....

With humble bow,

Reader Chrysostomos

Bogatyr

Authority?

Post by Bogatyr »

SHOW US WHERE THE CANONS, THE FATHERS, THE PHRONEMA condone the calendar schism, ecumenism, renovationism, sergianism, the "schmemannite ideas" of autocephaly. SHOW US!!! Enough of your seminar nonsense. On what authority do you base yourselves?! That is the point which markedly shows WHAT IS ORTHODOXY and WHAT IS THE MAKINGS OF SCHISM! Not all people are "not ready for ROCOR". Not all people want to be in a jurisdiction where COMPROMISE is the rule of Faith. Others prefer an Orthodox jurisdiction and an Orthodox formation, those who appreciate the Orthodox standard of authority in the Church.
Orthodoxia I Thanatos!
Rostislav Mikhailovich Malleev-Pokrovksy
PS Why don't you read, say, Fr. Seraphim of Platina's take on the "autocephaly of the Metropolia"?!

Chrysostomos

Response

Post by Chrysostomos »

bogatyr,

The best thing I have to offer you are my sinful prayers. As to your response...I am confident that the Old Believers made the same sort of statements as you are in regards to the reforms of Patriarch Nikon. It would be interesting to get your insights as to the Patriarch and his reforms and your sentiments about the Old Believers then and now....
You are very knowledgeable and I truly await your reply.

With humble bow,

Reader Chrysostomos

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Reader Chrysostomos,

What does it take for a Church to be Orthodox or not. That is the question and the answer is not in our own theories, if we feel all warm and fuzzy, or in our imaginations - it lies in Holy Tradition and what the father have to say.

Now if you are going to forward the theory that the OCA is Orthodox, you must have a very good thesis on why the so-called "Oriental Orthodox" are indeed Orthodox, because you are in communion with them. And I would very much like to hear your treatise on the subject.

Nevski
Jr Member

Post by Nevski »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

Now if you are going to forward the theory that the OCA is Orthodox, you must have a very good thesis on why the so-called "Oriental Orthodox" are indeed Orthodox, because you are in communion with them. And I would very much like to hear your treatise on the subject.

But before that treatise is given, you should provide whatever evidence you have that the OCA is in communion with the Oriental Orthodox.

Warning: I believe certain super-trads once made similar assertions on the Indiana List, after which they were summarily handed their heads. Don't suffer their fate: either provide real evidence, or retract your assertion.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Nevski,

What type of evidence do you suppose is reasonable?

Nevski
Jr Member

Post by Nevski »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

Nevski,

What type of evidence do you suppose is reasonable?

Let's not play games. Show us the evidence.