Kallistos Ware deservedly criticized

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

Kallistos Ware deservedly criticized

Post by Barbara »

"There are three online journals now which incessantly promote their renovationist [ << reference to the Bolshevik-created Imposter church to the Patriarch Tikhon [Bellavin] - led real Russian Orthodox one in the late teens and early 20s of the 20th century] agenda. "Public Orthodoxy," "The Wheel," and "Orthodoxy in Dialogue." These journals have hardly attempted to camouflage their agenda, but they usually have tried to use enough weasel words to allow for some implausible deniability. Lately, however, they have become even more brazen.

The most recent issue of "The Wheel," a journal whose general editor is openly pro-homosexual and has argued that homosexuals do not need to remain celibate)* featured an introduction by no less than Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware). Since there are now several very thorough refutations of what he says, I won't focus on it myself. I will only echo the disappointment expressed by many, as well as the appreciation for the many good things he has done in the past for the English speaking Orthodox world. I hope we discover that the real Metropolitan Kallistos has been kidnapped, and someone else is writing under his name, but the Metropolitan Kallistos of 10 years ago did not agree with the mealy-mouthed approach he takes now to homosexuality. The Orthodox Faith has not changed in the last 10 years, the only thing that has changed is that western culture has tipped on this question in favor of homosexuality....

For the best articles answering Metropolitan Kallistos, see:

"Metropolitan Kallistos and The Wheel," Fr. Lawrence Farley

"Ambiguity Serves No One: A Review of the Foreword by Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware) to the latest issue of The Wheel," by Dr. Edith M. Humphrey

"Anatomy of a Foreword: Metr. Kallistos on Sexual Morality," by Fr. John Cox.
http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/2018/06/ ... ch-20.html

Like most readers, I saw a commotion about met. Kallistos Ware's comments in some arcane journal called "The Wheel". None of this meant anything to me, since I had no idea what that publication was. Now I learn from this article that it's one of the 3 leftist "orthodox" websites.
To me, it's tedious to even read ANY of this material. I find I can not make my eyes stay on the page when this topic is under discussion. The subject is too disgusting for words.
So, I am giving these links, but can not say I recommend them as I have not looked at them.
Perhaps one or more of these countering replies to Kallistos Ware will give that update on his views that was discussed here on another thread [ I could not find it, or I would have attached this post to that thread ]. This gigantic scandal has unveiled exactly how the prelate has turned from liberal to outrageously liberal.

Reading his name more than ever "wears" on one's sense of propriety.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Kallistos Ware deservedly criticized

Post by Luke »

Thanks for posting the articles. I already read the first two but still found the third informative. I Googled the forward to the Wheel and had some difficulty in places and wondered if I was interpreting Metropolitan Ware correctly. Since three already wrote some refutations, I was hoping that Metropolitan Ware or somebody near him would write and say that we are misinterpreting the forward. So far, I have not seen any. It appears that Metropolitan Ware either intentionally or unintentionally really messed up.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Thank you, Luke, for commenting.
There won't be any retractions. That much is clear.
I see it as a simple case of --- well, Maria will jump all over this post --- but it seems Met Kallistos Ware started on a slippery slope downhill and this is the result. It could happen to any World Orthodox figure theoretically, but he has always been on the liberal side of the spectrum within the context of Orthodoxy.

I personally believe that anyone who participates in any way in this insane modern American rush to promote homosexuals is infested with demons. The same applies to Sister Vassa [Larin] who defended Met Kallistos Ware [ see the thread http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=12153 ]. Whereas, a person who fiercely opposes this evil topic is one who can see clearly what is right and what is wrong and that person never fears to speak the truth. Thus that type of person is not dominated by demons.

Thus when someone so 'famous' as Kallistos Ware makes a statement like this, he will never back down or apologize. Why ? Because demons are steering him throughout the process. Demons NEVER apologize. NEVER will a hint of remorse escape such a captive, because he is controlled by evil spirits whose signature characteristic is the self-worshipping pride of Lucifer. [ Hint to help unmask others of these : Such a person will often not apologize even for minor things, let alone such a stupendous error as the recent Kallistos Ware statement. ]

If this sounds unduly critical, we must recall St John Chrysostom's pithy warning about the road to Hell being strewn with the skulls of whom ? Bishops

The other dynamic which occurs in every situation of good and evil is this. The proponent of evil is joined by either minions or other individuals who rise up to defend him in his stance of darkness. Often, they vociferously take the leader's side, decrying all those who oppose this ridiculous position. This is exactly what Sister Vassa has done vis a vis Kallistos Ware's highly controversial writing, as explained in the essay by Fr John Whiteford posted at the same thread link above.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

The quote as I remember it:

The roads in hell are paved with the heads of priests, and the lampposts are the bishops.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That sounds much more like it [ though I thought it was the road TO Hell...we have to check ].

Here is a short essay by an Archimandrite Juvenaly Repass, who, like his name, keeps after the villain. He won't let the famed metropolitan slither away :

In his Foreword to The Wheel magazine Met. Kallistos Ware doesn’t just say “let’s learn more about this problem,” he questions whether Church teaching is right. He asks whether it is right for us (the Church) to impose on persons of same-sex orientation, the “heavy burden” of not being able to marry. The very clear implication is that they should be able to marry (in Church)!

Or perhaps he means that they should be able to have some sort of church blessing other than marriage – but in the Orthodox Church, marriage is the only context in which sexual union is blessed; apart from marriage, it is deemed sinful, and how can what is sinful be blessed?

It is shameful that a hierarch would hold these views, and worse still (if that’s possible) that a hierarch would mislead others by disseminating these opinions. Met. Kallistos has stepped over a line, and he should be disciplined.

I’m not at all surprised that he has written these things: his opinions were clear in a talk he gave to the assembled students and faculty of Saint Tikhon’s Seminary some years ago, in which he stated that he would not counsel persons who were in a committed same-sex relationship, to separate. What could be a clearer departure from Church teaching, discipline, and ethics, than that?

Met. Kallistos also errs by saying that it is we (the Church) who impose that “heavy burden.” It is not – it is the law of God, and Him laid down that law. It is the divine order established for humankind by our Creator who made us. It is neither right nor possible for us to change what God has established.

In addition, this “heavy burden” is no different from the struggle that we all wage against our passions – little by little, it becomes a “light yoke” with the help of Christ. For he said, “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

This is what the Metropolitan is failing to teach – a failure that is an abrogation of his sacred duty as bishop to teach true and saving doctrine. He is instead saying that it is better for a priest to counsel people to accept and even be “committed” to what is contrary to divine law, and is a passion and a sin – as preferable to continuing to wage the struggle against that passion and sin.

https://www.orthodoxytoday.org/blog/201 ... tionships/

I appreciate that Archimandrite Juvenaly [OCA] does not mince words. I glanced for just a minute at the Fr Farley article and it struck me that this Antiochian priest was WAY too tentative and fearful to attack a supposed venerable figure on the Orthodox world scene.

Ouch ! Each mere glance at this photo scrolling down the page gives me an instant painful flash of headache. Sorry that it turned out so large in case any readers are likewise bothered. I intended to show the not-so-friendly face of this imposter ware-ing clerical garments and a bishop's panagia.

Pshaw.
If only people - especially clergymen - stated the truth forthrightly and confidently like this author, Kallistos Ware would become -- Kallistos Ware ! Defrocked ; disallowed to "wear" his vestments forever. I think clear-minded clergy and laity have to petition for this.
No other form of discipline would have the slightest effect : Ware would be right back at the same as soon as his suspension time ended.

Hopefully, his superiors are not as timid as some of the commentators who walk on eggshells to avoid offending anybody deemed as important.

Readers of the OrthodoxyToday Blog [ I assume OCA ? I could not find any attribution ] wrote in to express shock and disapproval :

Pat Hines
July 8, 2018

"I converted to Orthodoxy because the hard rock theology was what I needed.
Met. Kallistos position on this issue degrades my rationale. More accurately, it flies in the face of Christ’s teachings and other Biblical law.
I don’t know what the Church hierarchy will do, but it must do something"

Another blog reader cut through all the attempts of the liberal apologists who tried hard to pass this major scandal off as someone just 'posing questions'. Sister Vassa used the same pitiful approach.

John Fleming
June 11, 2018

"He is not opening debate. The debate has been raging for years and Kallistos Ware knows that. He adds nothing new but is simply an advocate for serial sodomy. Nothing Christian in that"

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/blog/2018 ... -marriage/

To recover from all the darkness whirling through both the personage and the topic, how about a purifying round of Agni Parthene sung by the Valaam Monastery Choir near the reliquary of Sts Sergei and German of Valaam, whose Vigil it is tonight !
[ to date 5,352,000 viewers have been edified by that excellent rendition - whereas think how much harm one man entrusted with the episcopacy and metropolitanate has wreaked ? ]

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Very good thread , both ware and sister vassa seem very suspect in their views I’m glad the true orthodox can stick to the firm true path and call out , the liberal left leaning agenda that is in my opinion trying to slowly erode public opinion , and I also speculate it is an intelligence ploy by certain people .

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Absolutely right, OrthodoxinMichigan !

Now, which intelligence agencies might be the culprits here ? Great point, it sounds very correct. Otherwise there would be no point to any of this barrage of once-respected Sister Vassa and The Unabashed Seller of Phony Wares. It's definitely rigged to deceive the average World Orthodox person on the basis of the supposedly sterling reputations of these 2.

Furthermore, I went to the site of that noxious "The Wheel" and was REVOLTED at the home page. All that cubist and other grotesque modern art that the site employs alongside Orthodox icons ? These people must be themselves active part of the false flag operation !