Is the Worldwide EP following the RC Code of Canon Law?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Is the Worldwide EP following the RC Code of Canon Law?

Post by Maria »

The "Worldwide" Patriarch of Constantinople appears to have adopted some of the changes made in the Code of Canon Law by the Roman Catholics first in 1917 and then in 1983.

Instead of allowing the bishops in the USA to select and to consecrate a new bishop to fill the vacant see in Chicago, the Metropolitans in the USA were forced to submit a list of three candidates and forward that list to the EP who has rejected that list favoring his own candidate.

Here is the news showing that the Chicago Metropolia is vacant:

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is mourning the passing of Metropolitan Iakovos of Chicago, 89, who fell asleep in the Lord last night, June 2, 2017, at Chicago’s Weiss Memorial Hospital following a short illness.

http://chicago.goarch.org/news/

There has been no news of a successor yet.

Isn't this against the Ancient Holy Canons which allow local bishops to elect a successor for a vacant see and to consecrate a bishop for that see before announcing that deed to the Patriarch? Why is the EP following Roman Practice? Does the EP think that he is infallible and supreme? Reading the website of the EP certainly gives that impression. Is it because he received his theological degree from Rome?

The Roman Path to Papal Infallibility, Papal Supremacy, and Canonical Changes

One of the reasons why the Roman Catholic Church standardized the Holy Canons, which effort was lead by the future Pius XII in the production of the Code of Canon Law of 1917, was to make them comply with the heretical Vatican I dogmas of Papal Infallibility and Papal Supremacy. Before this time, the Holy Canons were not touched, for to do so would bring on anathemas.

Indeed, by standardizing these Ancient Holy Canons, Pius XII and others introduced deliberate changes. One such change that Pacelli introduced was the selection and election of new bishops, which the Holy Canons specified was to occur immediately after the death of a bishop. The local presbyters were to elect this new bishop and then get the approval of the ordinary (bishop) of three surrounding dioceses. Next this bishop-elect was to be consecrated by those bishops who had approved him, and only then was the Patriarch or Pope to be notified.

However, Pacelli in his Code of Canon Law of 1917 introduced the new provision that three candidates were to be selected to fill the seat (cathedral) of the vacated diocese. Of those names being submitted to the Pope, one of the three, several of the three, or none of the three were to be selected. If none were selected by the Pope, then the local gathering of presbyters was to convene again and submit another group of three names until a bishop-elect was found that was acceptable to Rome. This took away local control and centralized the Vatican control of the world's bishop in accordance with the Roman dogma of Papal Supremacy.

Because the Romans had introduced the false canons of Papal Supremacy and Papal Infallibility of Vatican I as well as the false canons of the Council of Trent, the Code of Canon Law of 1917 had quite a few errors introduced in it. After the Vatican II Council, which was a pastoral council only, and not a dogmatic council, further changes were introduced and the New Code of Canon Law was issued in 1983. From what I have read in the Catholic press, this newer rendition is now hopelessly out of date with all the pontifications of John-Paul II, Benedict XVI, and Francis.

Change leads to more changes = the slippery slope.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

d9popov

Re: Is the Worldwide EP following the RC Code of Canon Law?

Post by d9popov »

Maria wrote:

Because the Romans had introduced the false canons of Papal Supremacy and Papal Infallibility of Vatican I as well as the false canons of the Council of Trent, the Code of Canon Law of 1917 had quite a few errors introduced in it. After the Vatican II Council, which was a pastoral council only, and not a dogmatic council, further changes were introduced and the New Code of Canon Law was issued in 1983.

We can all agree that (1) the Roman Catholic Church has gone through radical and extreme changes in canons and dogma and (2) the Ecumenical Patriarchate has been influenced by this -- and wants to be influenced even more down the road, when it can get away with it better, after "conservatives" in the ecumenist churches die off. Bartholomew is an admirer of Vatican II and wants his churches to move in that direction: a mix of left-wing theology and papal authoritarianism. For example, when bishops are consecrated in the Ecumenical Patriarchate, they no longer read all of the three traditional confessions of faith in which they are supposed to promise to hold to the dogmas and canons; at the same time, the Ecumenical Patriarchate has repudiated the Orthodox idea of "first among equals" and now proclaims the heretical idea of "first without equals"; bishops-elect now promise an extreme version of obedience to Constantinople, divorced from dogma, in their "confession of faith." I cannot agree that Vatican II was "a pastoral council only, and not a dogmatic council." The pope and the council issued two documents called a "dogmatic constitution." It would be nice to see a traditional Orthodox critique of the heresies of Vatican I, Vatican II (especially the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church), and the Ecumenical Patriarchate (from 1965 onward).

The three heretical documents mentioned above are:

Paul VI [Montini, Giovanni Battista], Pope of Rome; and the Second Vatican Council, Dei Verbum: Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation (Rome, November 18, 1965), at The Holy See, http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_coun ... /index.htm.

Paul VI [Montini, Giovanni Battista], Pope of Rome; and the Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium: Dogmatic Constitution on the Church (Rome, November 21, 1965), at The Holy See, http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_coun ... /index.htm.

Elpidophoros Lambriniadis, Metropolitan of Bursa, First without equals: A response to the text on primacy of the Moscow Patriarchate (2013?), at Ecumenical Patriarchate, https://www.patriarchate.org/-/primus-s ... pidophorou.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

d9popov wrote:
Maria wrote:

Because the Romans had introduced the false canons of Papal Supremacy and Papal Infallibility of Vatican I as well as the false canons of the Council of Trent, the Code of Canon Law of 1917 had quite a few errors introduced in it. After the Vatican II Council, which was a pastoral council only, and not a dogmatic council, further changes were introduced and the New Code of Canon Law was issued in 1983.

We can all agree that (1) the Roman Catholic Church has gone through radical and extreme changes in canons and dogma and (2) the Ecumenical Patriarchate has been influenced by this -- and wants to be influenced even more down the road, when it can get away with it better, after "conservatives" in the ecumenist churches die off. Bartholomew is an admirer of Vatican II and wants his churches to move in that direction: a mix of left-wing theology and papal authoritarianism. For example, when bishops are consecrated in the Ecumenical Patriarchate, they no longer read all of the three traditional confessions of faith in which they are supposed to promise to hold to the dogmas and canons; at the same time, the Ecumenical Patriarchate has repudiated the Orthodox idea of "first among equals" and now proclaims the heretical idea of "first without equals"; bishops-elect now promise an extreme version of obedience to Constantinople, divorced from dogma, in their "confession of faith." I cannot agree that Vatican II was "a pastoral council only, and not a dogmatic council." The pope and the council issued two documents called a "dogmatic constitution." It would be nice to see a traditional Orthodox critique of the heresies of Vatican I, Vatican II (especially the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church), and the Ecumenical Patriarchate (from 1965 onward).

The three heretical documents mentioned above are:

Paul VI [Montini, Giovanni Battista], Pope of Rome; and the Second Vatican Council, Dei Verbum: Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation (Rome, November 18, 1965), at The Holy See, http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_coun ... /index.htm.

Paul VI [Montini, Giovanni Battista], Pope of Rome; and the Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium: Dogmatic Constitution on the Church (Rome, November 21, 1965), at The Holy See, http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_coun ... /index.htm.

Elpidophoros Lambriniadis, Metropolitan of Bursa, First without equals: A response to the text on primacy of the Moscow Patriarchate (2013?), at Ecumenical Patriarchate, https://www.patriarchate.org/-/primus-s ... pidophorou.

The book The Ecclesiastical Renovation of Vatican II is the book you are looking for.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Not exactly relevant to the interesting observations made by Maria above, but I looked up Met Iakovos, not having heard of him.

I found an article from the Chicago Tribune playing all the usual angles which show that he was one of the New World Order types, approved by certain places.

Whenever there is such warm praise of a public figure, one can be certain that he was one of "theirs". If it were a True Orthodox Hierarch, there would be been a stony silence from the general media.

Note how Iakovos was lauded for this - to me - thoroughly questionable pursuit [italics mine] :

"He strengthened the church's ministries with social justice initiatives, such as establishing the first organized ministry in the Greek Orthodox world for those living with HIV or AIDS, and he was still active in his ministry at the time of his death...according to the church's statement."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html