"Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

"Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

Post by Justice »

I've heard Nathanael Kapner used to be in the TOC if so which one? Is there a blog he used to have talking about this stuff?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: "Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

Post by Maria »

Brother Nathanael was with Gregory of Colorado.

Now he is with the ROCOR-MP and is under Archbishop Hillarion.

We must pray for him.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Maybe change the spelling so that anyone searching on the internet will find the thread ?

The blog to which Justice referred was called Church News. Not to be confused with Mat. Anastasia's bulletin done out of New York through the 1980s or so. This covered events in Rocor. The daughter of Bp Gregory Grabbe, this well-placed source reported with an outspokenly jaundiced view the overtures made by the MP which were welcomed by some Rocor personages.
She did not let anyone who was lukewarm about the MP get off the hook. She exposed each such clergyman.

It was GOOD. Nathanael did serious interviews with various TOC figures. The ex-Dormition Skete novice covered in depth, for example, the visit of the RTOC head to his parishes in the USA one year. That was impressive. He deserves credit for sounding the alarm about the MP takeover of Rocor until even after the May 2007 'union'.

Then.....

Last edited by Maria on Sat 11 August 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name changed. Thanks Barbara
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thank you, Barbara. I edited the title to correct this typo.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I have it on good authority [ Brother Nathanael's telling someone who then conveyed to me ] that he managed to convert his PARENTS to Orthodoxy. That is an achievement that can not be discounted. It's SO difficult to change someone's very set ideas AGAINST Christianity in general. Then to persuade his parents to become Orthodox is quite a coup ! I am not sure when.

I doubt many other Jewish converts to Orthodoxy have been able to achieve this formidable goal of converting members of their family, let alone their respected parents.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Really? in one of his more recent videos, he explains how his mother had a fit when he told her he believed in Jesus.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Which video was that ? I assume it was one of his two or three about his road to Orthodoxy and monasticism.

That's why it would be interesting to find out when and HOW he managed to turn around both parents.
One can imagine that they would have been furious for quite some time with their son's dramatic conversion.

In reality, it is difficult to spark interest in many people of today. I suggested 2 people living in Marin County go visit
the relics of St John Maximovitch to help in med school exams and I have forgotten the other dire problem. They passed through the City [ San Francisco ] all the time, so a swing past the Geary Holy Virgin Cathedral would have taken them only a few minutes out of their ways. Further, what did they have to lose by seeking Heaven's help ?

The answer ? Both women responded with an aggressive edge to their tone, showing the underlying anger at this idea : "You're telling me I would have to wear a skirt ? I don't even own a skirt. No, I won't."

These replies came after 45 minutes or more of cajoling by me, explaining all the benefits of a Saint's prayers, giving a few striking examples. Neither was remotely convinced !

This suggestion was only to seek intercession from the Heavenly choir of Saints. Not to convert to Orthodoxy. Yet the reaction was so cold and dismissive [ "Imagine that ! A place where I must wear a skirt ? How dare anyone tell me what to do ! " - the voices rose up toward the end in indignation - ] that it made me realize how difficult it must be to persuade one person to convert. Of course, we have fschmidt on this Forum. This Texan is spiritually imaginative enough to see the benefits of True Orthodoxy. Such people are rare today, a fact which not everyone grasps.

Well, maybe Nathanael needs to make a new video talking about this topic of his parents' conversion. On the other hand, the senior Kapners may not want their newly illumined Orthodox Christian status broadcast over the internet. Especially now that their son is a celebrity and will likely only become more of a 'star' as his fame spreads to a number of foreign countries. There, he will be more appreciated than in this country.