"Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: "Brother" Nathaniel Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Well, I do recall that you came from a Jewish background, so I can therefore understand your concern.
But you have to realize he is trying to expose evildoers in the US political, social and financial scenes. That is a plus, of course.
He has probably woken up some many thousands of people during the decade elapsed between his previous website days [ anti-MP ] and today.

I think he has toned down some of the wilder aspects of his garb and clerical headgear - but he still wears too much regalia for a mere novice !
It reduces the Holy Cross to nearly costume jewelry, if you look closely at the image on the T=shirt above.
If someone could reason with him, then he would not offend people anywhere in the Orthodox spectrum, or new inquirers into Orthodoxy.
Maybe YOU could try ?

You don't have to, but you seem outgoing and curious to meet some of the prominent Orthodox personalities online. Think about it
He might listen to a kid like you, where he would brush immediately off any restraints from even his own jurisdiction.

I love that Brother Nathaniel has exposed Israel and many other things, but he also defends Hitler, white supremacists, and swears. Of course these were videos from awhile ago and I don't know if he's changed his opinion but it still worries me nonetheless. As for talking to him, he never responds to his youtube comments and I don't often visit his website. If I could convince him to leave ROCOR-MP I would, I will happily try to talk to him.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: "Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Well, I do recall that you came from a Jewish background, so I can therefore understand your concern.

Actually my background is mostly protestant only recently after grandmother married did my background include Jews.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

As far as Brother Nathanael swearing, I also dislike the coarseness of some of his videos. Not my style, but perhaps appeals to 'the masses' ?
Certainly he should not swear, nor use vulgar expressions either publicly or privately.

Maybe you could acquaint the good brother with the Lament of St Basil posted today in the Praxis forum - ?
http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 734#p70734
It would not hurt him, a monastic, to recite that prayer, after all.

While you are at it, you could mention the Aurora Borealis expected to be visible in Northern Idaho these next few days as a lead-in. Quick description is here : http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/vi ... 742#p70742

Nathanael DOES reply to comments on his website - the ones he allows. But this is more of a sensitive matter, so why not send him an email ? He may or may not reply, but hopefully he will give your words some consideration. I would start with a compliment, if I were you.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

Just so you guys are aware, "Brother Nathanael" is a vagrant individual who has no association with ROCOR-MP, despite his insistence to the contrary. His only association with ROCOR is that he was very briefly a novice in one of their monasteries before he got kicked out. Then he joined Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston as a novice before he was kicked out of there as well. Since then he has been in communion with not a single Orthodox group, New Calendarist or Old Calendarist.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:

Just so you guys are aware, "Brother Nathanael" is a vagrant individual who has no association with ROCOR-MP, despite his insistence to the contrary. His only association with ROCOR is that he was very briefly a novice in one of their monasteries before he got kicked out. Then he joined Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston as a novice before he was kicked out of there as well. Since then he has been in communion with not a single Orthodox group, New Calendarist or Old Calendarist.

This is what I thought as well, but a friend of mine was recently ordained a priest at the Synodal Cathedral in New York, and Brother Nathanael was there in attendance.

NotChrysostomYet
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Post by NotChrysostomYet »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:
NotChrysostomYet wrote:

This is what I thought as well, but a friend of mine was recently ordained a priest at the Synodal Cathedral in New York, and Brother Nathanael was there in attendance.

I don't know what to tell you regarding that, but here's a statement from ROCOR-MP: http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/07 ... anael.html

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

NotChrysostomYet wrote:

I don't know what to tell you regarding that, but here's a statement from ROCOR-MP: http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/07 ... anael.html

Yes and then there is this:

I honestly don't know what to believe.